Anyone switched from mega SI transducer to the dual spectrum mega DI transducer?

I currently have a Helix mega 12 SI unit on the bow, but I find myself using my mega side imaging less and less since I have gotten better with my 360 unit. I have thought about changing the transducer to the dual spectrum mega DI transducer, XTM 9 MDI T, to take advantage of the better quality 2d sonar produced by the low q transducer. Changing to this transducer will eliminate side imaging from the bow, but I'm curious if anyone else has done this and how you like it? I like to drop shot a lot and it seems like the extra detail on 2d could come in handy, but maybe it's not enough difference to really matter.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

I don't think you have a setting that gives you Dual Spectrum 2D with Side Imaging.
    You do have a setting for Dual Spectrum and MEGA DI or just Dual Spectrum by itself if you have somewhat current software.

The G3N setting for Dual Spectrum 2D with MEGA Side Imaging is HW+MEGA SI

I have used a Dual Spectrum DI transducer with a SOLIX SI unit. The SOLIX will auto-detect the MEGA DI transducer when connected, turn off SI, and change the 2D frequency to 140-240 kHz CHIRP.
    You would have to change to Connected Transducer setting for the MEGA DI transducer with the Helix.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 02-19-2019 at 08:28 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Yeah, I didn't figure dual spectrum 2d and side imaging was possible for my mega g2n model. You had mentioned to me that the XTM 9 MDI T would give me the dual spectrum and mega DI... just not any side imaging..... which is the direction I have seemed to be leaning for a while now. Right now I have the new 1.90 update installed and used (and liked) 1.61 before that. IF I was to get that transducer, then select the proper transducer on the unit.... does that automatically disable side imaging, or would I need to do that manually? I'm guess it would disable it automatically.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by akaslyguy View Post
    Yeah, I didn't figure dual spectrum 2d and side imaging was possible for my mega g2n model. You had mentioned to me that the XTM 9 MDI T would give me the dual spectrum and mega DI... just not any side imaging..... which is the direction I have seemed to be leaning for a while now. Right now I have the new 1.90 update installed and used (and liked) 1.61 before that. IF I was to get that transducer, then select the proper transducer on the unit.... does that automatically disable side imaging, or would I need to do that manually? I'm guess it would disable it automatically.
    Not automatically, you would be manually choosing to change the unit from a SI unit to a DI unit.
    Same thing if you wanted the unit to be a 2D-only unit for using a 2D transducer or US2 transducer before the MDI Minnkota came out.
    Spend some time scrolling through all the Connected Transducer settings that unit has. The G3N MEGA SI+ units have 19 choices.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Guess I worded it wrong.... does manually setting the unit to use the new transducer disable the side imaging function of the unit? I've never had to change the selected transducer so I don't know, but I will check out the list of transducer options, thanks. Do you feel like this is a worth while upgrade to the 2d performance over the 2d from the mega side imaging transducer?
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

6. Member
    Similarly interested

Quote Originally Posted by akaslyguy View Post
    Guess I worded it wrong.... does manually setting the unit to use the new transducer disable the side imaging function of the unit? I've never had to change the selected transducer so I don't know, but I will check out the list of transducer options, thanks. Do you feel like this is a worth while upgrade to the 2d performance over the 2d from the mega side imaging transducer?
    I would not do it since I use SI at the bow more than 2D, and do not use DI for fishing.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL