Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shotguns under 600

Hi all, I am looking at shotguns for my wife and I have an beretta a300 but she doesn’t really like it but shoots it with no issue. The gun doesn’t have anything wrong or nothing she just wants something different. She’s looked at a couple at academy and dicks and also bass pro and she likes the way the ATA venza feels and also the Tristar viper G2. She hasn’t picked up any benellis or Browning’s for the simple fact she wants to stay at or under 600. This will be used for all hunting and trapshooting so prefer the gun to be camo
    Last edited by jc1992; 02-20-2019 at 07:53 PM.

2. Member
    600 Bucks, Autoloader?? Camo??? Maybe a Stoeger 3000.

Since you mentioned Benelli. I have to tell you only cause I think its a heck of a deal.

Cabelas is discontinuing the Benelli Ultralight from their stores, right now they have the Ultralight 20 Gauge for $1249, Normally a $1600 gun, and being a 20 gauge I think a female shooter would love that gun. But if your budget is 600 firm, I'd look at either a Browning BPS or Rem. 870 Wingmaster in either 20 gauge or 28 gauge.

3. Member
    https://grabagun.com/dksn-212c28db-2...8in-dbcam.html

I have shot this gun and like it... you can find it considerably less than $600

4. Member
    Remington V3 in black synthetic $549

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by catchatoad View Post
    https://grabagun.com/dksn-212c28db-2...8in-dbcam.html

I have shot this gun and like it... you can find it considerably less than $600
    I have never seen one, so this is second hand, and a small sample size. Several Dickenson owners on the Upland Hunters site complain about reliability issues.

6. Member
    Check out the Stoeger and Franchi shotguns. Benelli makes them and they run the same inertia system that the Benelli has. Had the Winchester SX4 not felt better to me I would have bought one of them. Great value in them guns.

for that money a Stoeger would be my pick
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

8. Member
    Another vote for the Stoeger m3000. I used to have the m3500 but got rid of as it didn't like ejecting 2 3/4" shells, just a picky gun. I'd also recommend an older Rem 1187 or 1100.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno 615 View Post
    Another vote for the Stoeger m3000. I used to have the m3500 but got rid of as it didn't like ejecting 2 3/4" shells, just a picky gun. I'd also recommend an older Rem 1187 or 1100.
    I’ll have her look at the m3000 this weekend and see what she thinks. As for an 1187 I already had her shoulder a used one and she didn’t like it. The 1100, I have one and she says “it’s too pretty for the swamps” plus I really don’t want her taking that one around water. Trust me finding her one with the limited amount she wants to spend has been a task. She likes the ata venza but I don’t know anyone who has one but the gun does have good reviews even though there are not that many reviews. I will let her choose between that one and the stoeger and see what feels best for her. It will be hers, but don’t want her getting something that she’s going to hate due to reliability. I’m not much worried about kick as she handles a 3 inch magnum 12gauge with no problems. She’s tough for sure.

10. Member
    If you can find here an 1100 for a good price, then get her a set of the synthetic stocks for it. I actually see a few 1100's around here for sale that already have the black stocks on them. That would eliminate the "pretty" factor I would think and she'd have a good shotgun imo.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by preacher ed View Post
    If you can find here an 1100 for a good price, then get her a set of the synthetic stocks for it. I actually see a few 1100's around here for sale that already have the black stocks on them. That would eliminate the "pretty" factor I would think and she'd have a good shotgun imo.
    This is true but would need to be a 1100 magnum and I have yet to find one around me that can handle 3” shells. Most 1100 only shoot 2 3/4. Technically you can hunt anything with 2 3/4 but she wants to shoot 3” as well. She originally wanted to look for a shotgun to handle 3.5” but thank god I talked her out of that one. The only other problem with an 1100 is also can’t find one in the price she’s wanting to stay under, which I am working on getting her to look at a more workable price range as that would allow me to buy her whichever one she would like, but have not been able to get her to budge on going above $600 yet. I know that the higher priced guns aren’t necessarily any better than what she’s looking at, but at least that would give me more room to find something that she likes and could be confident in. I have a feeling she’s going to pick the ATA venza because of the grips and everything she has researched about the gun plus she can buy it in camo for around $530. Me personally if she’s let me I’d buy her the beretta A400 Xtreme. But she won’t budge on her set price.

12. Member
    For the price. Stoeger.

13. Member
    Have her shoulder an SX4. I have Tyrannosaurus rex short arms, and the SX4 has shortest length of pull that I shouldered. 13-3/4” with no spacers in. That’s what tipped the scale for me. It was just a more natural motion for me. Just something else to think about. Good luck.
    Last edited by RangerAce; 02-22-2019 at 12:17 PM.

14. Banned
    edit
    Last edited by Chief Paduke; 02-22-2019 at 10:45 AM.

I go with the Tristar. It a copy of an older Beretta design. They seem to hold up well. It a gas auto as well which will attenuate the recoil if you doing a lot of clay shooting.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

16. Member
    Beretta A300
    rkguns has it for $687 max 5 Camo. Black synthetic $609 but sold out

17. Member

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 22Clint View Post
    Beretta A300
    rkguns has it for $687 max 5 Camo. Black synthetic $609 but sold out
    I have an A300 and she wants something different as stated above. Also 1/2 off is a hell of a deal on that! Wish I could have seen that earlier as she chose the ATA Venza 12 gauge. Just got is all cleaned and everything looks good. I’ll update y’all once we are able to get it out for the test run and break in

19. Member
    Bud, I've been married a lonnnnnng time. Trust me, letting her pick out the gun, was a very wise decision.

20. Member
    Weatherby sa-08 is light and easy to clean , super simple design , it is my go to Dove gun. Have run hundreds of rounds thru it and has never failed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast