Duracell AGM or conventional deep cycle

Need new batteries for my trolling motor, looking to upgrade to an Ultrex 80lb, looking at either the Duracell 31 AGM or regular deep cycle 31. Which would be the better choice for the eventual upgrade to the Ultrex? Have a Minn Kota that can charge either so don't need to upgrade there.
    2013 Nitro Z-8 200hp Mercury Pro XS

2. Member
    For me the choice came down to how easily could I check water levels on the batteries to maintain them. In the current boat, it is very difficult to check them and add water, so I went with the Duracell AGM batteries.

If checking water levels and adding water is not an issue, then it really comes down to price in my opinion, as well as some difference in reserve. For the Duracell batteries, the AGM ones have a larger reserve than the wet cell ones.

3. Member

Duracell AGM batteries

Quote Originally Posted by DQM View Post
    For me the choice came down to how easily could I check water levels on the batteries to maintain them. In the current boat, it is very difficult to check them and add water, so I went with the Duracell AGM batteries.

If checking water levels and adding water is not an issue, then it really comes down to price in my opinion, as well as some difference in reserve. For the Duracell batteries, the AGM ones have a larger reserve than the wet cell ones.
    I am very pleased with the Duracell AGM batteries v flooded cell.

4. Member
    Do they make a AGM Duracell in a 27 series
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    So am I.

Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Do they make a AGM Duracell in a 27 series
    Yes. Sam’s Club or Batteries Plus. Sam’s is cheaper.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

7. Member
    I normally go through trolling motor batteries every two years, I’ve tried about all kinds of wet cells. I got tired of turkey basters over aa year ago and sprung for the Duracell AGM. They are in their second year and going strong. I’ve only used my Ultrex a few times, not seeing that it’s going to draw that much more.

I've had the wet cells from Sam's over a year. Only had to add water when I got them. Run hard on TM in the wind and never a problem. Charge as soon as I get back at 24/7 til next trip with a MK440PC.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

I have 80lb Ultrex with Duracell’s. Fish tourney all day, when I plug charger in it shows batteries at 60% power remaining.
    Very happy

10. Member
    For me cranking batterybis most important. When I had a 24v system I ran the everstart max from Walmart in a group 29. Could fish two full days and never run out of power. Has those batteries in boat for four years and they were still going strong. From what I have heard on the Duracell AGM they should be a great battery. One thing I think of for tm is ease of replacement when traveling in case you have a battery go down. If you have easy access to sams club that would be the way to go.

11. Member
    I have 3 Sam's AGM batteries and love them. The deciding factor for me was a leaking wet cell that drove me nuts.

12. Member
    I run 3 Sam's Duracell Series 31 for my trolling motor and they have been great.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

I bought two Duracell 31 series Ultra Platinum AGMs for trolling motor (80 Fortrex), and a 31 series X2 Power Premium AGM w/1150 CCAs for starting both from batteries plus....seems to work great!