Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    One time our Lab was nice and quiet, laying in the boat. Only after I thru the anchor out did I find out why she was so quiet. She was having a good time chewing on the anchor line. Need less to say that is the last day I saw that anchor. Another time I was throwing a top water bait and it was making a noise coming back. So she decided to dive in and catch it. Luckily I was using a high speed reel and was able to pull it in faster than she could swim. Another dog was looking over the side at speed, and we hit a wave, and over she went. After I got her back in the boat, she sat in the dead center and would not move if the boat was moving.

2. Member
    I read a post a long time ago to keep a lab from chasing the lure on a cast and from jumping over board. It’s the same trick I’m doing now with my 9 week old golden doodle in the house....keep a short 6 foot leash on him. When you get to the front deck step on the leash so he doesn’t have room to make it to the edge. When you’re on plane and don’t want him moving around the boat, put him in the floor and step on the leash so he can’t stand up.

im in an apartment again and have to clean up and bag after him each time he deuces. I do the same trick to keep him from stepping in it. Pull him a foot or two away and step on the leash.

3. Member
    I’m too dang worried about their paws poking holes in my seat to take mine.

This happens every time they hear me hooking up the boat.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    Every trip

Beautiful Golden !!! I had one that fished with me for 12 years
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

6. Member
    GSP is a fishing Machine DSCF1318.JPG

7. Member
    I have a neighbor at the lake - about 6 houses up - I still don’t know his name. My wife and I just call him “ Weimereiner” because every time we see him he has his dog in the boat.

8. Member
    Ours was 6 months old, took her to Okeechobee with my wife. Rode out fine, I was fishing, dog standing next to me. I hooked a fish, brought it in the boat, dog jumped in the water. Came up looking like 'what just happened??". My wife was shouting to 'get her before the alligators can eat her!' It was chaos for about 30 seconds.

Dog now wants nothing to do with the boat, unless I'm tied up at the dock...then she knows where I keep the crackers and water. ;)

She doesn't like getting on the boat in the garage. Can't say I blame her!

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningchicken View Post
    Ours was 6 months old, took her to Okeechobee with my wife. Rode out fine, I was fishing, dog standing next to me. I hooked a fish, brought it in the boat, dog jumped in the water. Came up looking like 'what just happened??". My wife was shouting to 'get her before the alligators can eat her!' It was chaos for about 30 seconds.

That is the reason I put a vest on my male; quick extraction. I have an actual Nile Crocodile behind the house and it is ultra aggressive. I threw a spinnerbait up near the pads and reeled it in and turned to cast again and it was on a 'bee line' for the boat. This new puppy, I think would jump in after the croc if She saw it...

I can't stress enough how helpful an old sheet can be for the dog to have a 'den' If it doesn't get too windy, I can get a nice tent on the back deck.

10. Member
    Bring my lab with me a lot, he is 3. If i get to the bank he might jump out at times after i pull up. I just let him jump in the water and have a big time. I dont really care he will come back in a few min. I just have to yell his name a time or 2. My dog also rides in the back seat of my truck. He means quite a bit to me. Seems the older i get the softer i get

11. Member
    Keep hooks away at all times and always have accessible water for them. No excuses!

Don't let the dog take your attention away from running the boat, watching for others and property. If on plane, be able to easily grasp the dog if slowing down, yielding or maneuvering. Especially in a yield situation, during the training time and when the lake is more crowded. Some dogs will bail at a seconds notice. You don't want your buddy to get hurt.

All dogs aren't meant for the boat. Some are the best, some are scared and some just get too excited and don't make for a pleasureable time. It helps the first few times to have another adult on board. Also, remember they will feed off your energy, so try and stay calm. Enjoy the day and just have fun.

If going serious fishing, leave them at home.
    Champion 206
    250XB

12. Member
    Also, that redbone/lab mix is beautiful!!!
    Champion 206
    250XB

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    Tried it once and only once with my black lab. I could not keep her out of the water even on a short lease she would jump in and hang herself on the side of the boat. She didn't care what I said she was going in the water.
    LoL My daughters yellow lab is like that. She even has to lock him up when she gives the kids a bath.

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    This happens every time they hear me hooking up the boat.

awesome dogs! are they named doctoe evil and minnie me by chance? lol
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Dog hair and scratched glass.... no thanks!
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

I took my Viszla once. That was her last trip, she goes everywhere with me just not in the boat anymore. If she wants a boat ride I take her my my old tinny 8 hp around the lake. Here's the old girl pan fishing with my son and riding in the old boat. She can fish all day long to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Member
    Once again, I appreciate all the advice and feedback. I think I will probably limit the times she goes fishing with me. I normally only get to go out fishing once every week or two, so when I go I am out for 6-8 hours or more and I am wanting to fish, not constantly be looking around to make sure she's still in the boat or not stepping on something she shouldn't be. She doesn't shed, so I don't have to worry about her getting hair all over the boat, but I do think I would want to put a towel on the seats just in case one of her claws would puncture the seat. Also love all of the pics...man's best friend indeed.

18. Banned
    Good reads...I wanted to take my pup(weimaraner)8months out on my boat...still thinking about it. Did have her ride in the back of my truck with my son,just in the development. She got them long legs right up on the side the whole time. So pretty sure I'd be getting her out of the water numerous times

If you have a puppy take him out every time you go and set rules with him and everything will probably be great . My lab will sometimes chase lures I'm casting and he's almost to big for me to get back in boat because he can't get a good grip . Get most breeds a life jacket with a handle .

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    Good reads...I wanted to take my pup(weimaraner)8months out on my boat...still thinking about it. Did have her ride in the back of my truck with my son,just in the development. She got them long legs right up on the side the whole time. So pretty sure I'd be getting her out of the water numerous times

Bring something to drape over the console, a shower curtain works great. She'll get in there when She needs a rest or to cool down. I can't go out back w/out all 3 thinking it is Boat time. They also seem to have a Speed Limit, at least up until growing into their ears. My male had to get out of the wind due to ear flapping, She is the same way now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast