Post 2014 Puma FTD - 250 Pro XS - Prop Suggestions?

I'm running a 2014 Puma FTD - 250 Pro XS - Dual Power Pole 8ft.

I run average load of tackle and gear, and try to keep around 25-30 gallons fuel when i test hole shot / speed.
    With just me, 230lbs, livewells 1/2 full and above mentioned set up 26P Tempest out of the box with 1 Large PVS plug i'm getting 78-79mph right now. Holeshot is worse than the 25p Fury I was running, but the top end same set up with the Fury 25 was 77 max. I will add Jackplate height to the post after while, but if anyone could help out with what runs best for them, I'd love to hear your set-ups.

I have an identical set up on a 17 puma ftd, poles, fuel, about the same weight as you. Boat came with a 25 fury, hole shot is good, top end with me still learning to drive is about 74. I think my jack plate needs to come up a 1/4 as its at 3" prop to pad right now. The leading edge of the jack plate is flush. I just got my hands on a 25p fury worked by Ronnie, it has alot more acceleration. I kinda want to try a 4 blade fury 25p, as most of the time with boat traffic and rogue waves I can't run above 70 but very briefly. Most of the guys I see running our set up top out at 76-77. (The honest ones )
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

3. Member
    Awesome thanks for the response, I am more or less wondering what I can improve or if my set up is good as is. I know the poles are like sails so it's stealing a few Mph from us, but the more info we can get on here the better. The tempest out of the box seems great on top end but does not have great hole shot, with a load and 2 big guys it takes a while to get on pad. I also don't know if adding another pvs plug to improve holeshot has a negative affect on top end speed or handling.. that's another big question I had.

To add to your reply, I had a lot more trouble driving the 25p Fury above 70 than I do the tempest, the Tempest drives like a champ compared to Fury on my rig.

4. Member
    It is my understanding that more pvs open the better hole shot until blow out occurs a post down further on a similar subject and hull it was recommended to add a 5/16 hole next to the current pvs holes good luck it will be a month till the lakes are clear up here and i can get out and test to give you real world feedback

If Ronnie preps the fury for you it will outperform the tempest in all aspects. Do not add more vent holes to the fury prop.
    I could never get a stock fury to work as well as tempest. New ball game once I hooked up with Ronnie,
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    I never used PVS Plugs in the Fury, but the Tempest has needed them.
    Now, when you say prep'd Fury, are you talking a 25P or 26P? Because I can turn a 26P Fury right now, although dog days of summer I might have to go back to a 25P.
    2014 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS - Tempest 26P
    112 Ultrex
    Lowrance Carbon 9s

Ronnie can make little alterations to a stock prop, hes told me the furys are not true out of the box and need to be lightly fine tuned. He can also add things to increase speed, lift, bite etc... Everything I've seen with guys running a 26p on our set up the hole shot is poor, I've heard of him resolving some or all of that. As with any prop set up its always a give or take set up...
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

Can u give me information on Ronnie ? I usally send to marks
    2014 Puma FTD 250 Merc Pro XS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLbound View Post
    Can u give me information on Ronnie ? I usally send to marks
    Ronnie Gilbert 337-380-1437
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs