2018 G3 Sportsman 17 Camo horn issue

I have noticed that my horn stopped working on my Sportsman. The only time I would ever use it is when stopped buy local Game Warden and inspected. I called the place I purchased it from and they said its under the dash. Check the connections. Not under dash!!! I called G3 and they told me its part of the light system on the front (bow). Been using this system since 2006 he said. So since they have been using that for so long maybe one of you guys have had this issue. What would cause the horn to stop working? I have only had boat out 6 times or so and no rain or water should be the issue.

2. Member
    Mine on an Eagle 170 had cracked and fallen away from the assembly. I glued it back and works . Not loud but does work.

The horn on my 2002 HP180 also quit, the horn and front navigation light base are one unit. I found one online at 50 % of the price a dealer wanted. Easy to swap out. I'll see if I can find the website again.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

4. Member
    Carry a whistle, they make special ones for marine use. Good in an emergency (that's what you need them for) if the horn doesn't work, is broken, or you are without power.

Check to see if your bow light works. Did you check the breakers?
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Check to see if your bow light works. Did you check the breakers?
    My navigation bow lights worked while the horn didn't.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

We see a lot of issues with those horn/light base combos. It should definitely be covered under warranty. We keep several on hand because we have to swap them out fairly regularly. One thing to check also is the horn button. Does yours have the little rubber boot over the button? The older models didn't have the boot and had issues with them as well.
    2011 Ranger Z518
    Yamaha VMAX SHO 200

8. LDraper
    The horn on my 2016 Sportsman 17 is like a bum. Only works when it is in the mood.

9. Member
    Thanks for all of the comments. Using what you guys said and a little research it is the light/horn combo. It has 2 wires coming from the horn and one isn't connected. So I untape the wiring and located several connectors but each was connected to something else. Go figure. The horn worked when I picked it up at the dealer. And yes its still under warranty so when I go in for the Yamaha 20 hour service I will get them to figure out the horn too. Thanks everyone.

10. LDraper

After the winter my horn has failed again! Instead of ordering the same that is part of the front navigation light pole base I'm going to get a small separate horn that I can place under the bow space just under my bow panel. Non-OEM.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

12. LDraper
    Quote Originally Posted by rodney_h View Post
    After the winter my horn has failed again! Instead of ordering the same that is part of the front navigation light pole base I'm going to get a small separate horn that I can place under the bow space just under my bow panel. Non-OEM.
    I wish I would have just done that and then maybe added the BlueWater LED front navigation lights, which might take some head scratching to get them installed, but I believe it could be done.

13. Member
    The horn on my 2015 Sportsman put out only a weak buzzing sound and the replacement G3 horn unit on Amazon is not getting great reviews. I said "screw it" and installed a stainless above-deck horn on the bow of the boat.....the project only took 20 minutes and this horn is LOUD. A horn is a vital safety component on a boat and I'll go with functionality over looks.
    Rich
    Hackettstown, NJ
    fishing66@optonline.net
    phone: nine seven three six four one zero one zero seven