Thread: 919

Hey everyone!

I’ve decided to make the jump from Skeeter to Phoenix. My dealer is offering me a pretty excellent deal on a new 919, pretty well loaded with a Merc 4 stroke & all the other goodies. I’m coming out of a ZX 250 with the SHO & I would like to get some opinions on how you guys who have fished them feel about the 919 in rough water. My 9 year old fishes with me quite often and I’m a bit nervous about the rough water side of it’s ability only being 19’8”. I feel I may need to go the 721 route, but I just dig the way this particular 919 looks. Any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Justin

Not knowing where in Texas you are......I would trust it on any of those lakes. Travis on an ultra busy day, any boat will get beat up. Bastrop, decker, Fayetteville, inks, marble falls, Belton, still house etc no issues. Toledo Bend and Rayburn may be a stretch on a bad day, but any boat on those lakes have issues on a windy day. I am currently in MO, I run Lak of the Ozarks regularly. The 919 will amaze you how well it does in rough water. I had some hairy incidents on LOZ, She got me back to the ramp. I saw other bigger (20ft) boats having issues.

She rides great, fishes great.

I am extremely pleased with the 919. In the end its your money and your boat. Have him take you out on the 721 and 919. I did and I chose the 919. Most will say get what you can afford.
    2018 Phoenix 919, Mercury 225 Pro XS
    2016 Triton 179TrX, Mercury 115 4s
    1995 Bass Tracker 175Pro, 40hp Force
    1985 Bass Tracker 1800 Johnson 150 (I called it the lead sled)

3. Member
    I think the 919 will do whatever you need it to do but the extra length of the 721 is nice when it's really windy on Rayburn and toledo. I've been out in some BAD stuff on Rayburn and didnt feel worried at all. Ofcourse I dont go balls to the wall and I keep it smart. Either one is nice and the 919 is a rocket. One big factor is storage. Only get what you can put inside if possible

4. Member
    I’ve had mine about 6 months and am happy I got it. The Phoenix hull really handles well in rough water. I haven’t been to TB or Raburn with it rough yet but it has handled well on the lakes I fish on some pretty windy days. I also had a Skeeter for my previous boat and while it was a great boat with no problems, I can’t think of even one thing that I liked better about my bug. I was a little nervous about getting the new motor but so far it has been awesome. The 919 has all the bells and whistles and I like the wide front deck.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

5. Member
    What speed do you get out of your 919 and what prop?

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    The 919 will amaze you at how well it handles the rough stuff, the biggest lakes we have here are Norman and Kerr but they can get rough at times and my 919 handles it well. haven't had the chance to try a 721 but a do fish out of a 920 also and we really cant tell any difference in the 919 and a 920 in the ride, I know the 721 will do better when the waves are further apart.
    you will be pleased with either
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

7. Member
    I am going to go out on a limb and say a 919 and larger Phoenix will run rough water better than any skeeter. I think both boats are built with high quality, I just haven’t seen a bass boat hull built better for rough water than a Phoenix. I am not necessarily saying it is safer if real rough, but takes waves without shock if you know how to drive it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT196 View Post
    What speed do you get out of your 919 and what prop?
    919 ProXP, 225 V8 fs, (2) 8’ Blades, Ultrex 80
    Fury 24 3 blade (stock)

Top speed- Myself only, 1/2 fuel, empty live well, fishing gear, no seat poles 77.2gps 6050 Smartcraft 2.75 ptp 50deg water/50deg air

Everyday speed- myself 75-76 depending on fuel and live wells. Two people full fuel, live wells full, loaded to fish a little over 73.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

9. Member
    Thats impressive!

10. Member
    The 919 will do a lot better than you think. Agree with others it handles more like a 20' boat. There's a few days you may wish for the 21 FT boat, but 95% of the time it's the perfect setup.