Compressor oil line filter

2005 Optimax 1B150406

One of the compressor oil line filters lies right behind the VST and the hose is pretty short. Is there a way to change this filter without moving the VST?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes... done it many times. Disconnect hose from the bottom of filter, pull hose upwards to access filter.

Reverse for install.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Changing compressor filters require oil prime?
    1e003823
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Technically ANY connection beyond the bottom of the Engine-Mounted Oil Tank can introduce air into the system (requiring an oil pump prime sequence).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    The filters that I changed had no sta straps on them, but my service manual (2003) shows a sta strap on each end of the filter. Should I add sta straps? Also, should the in--line filter from the remote tank be changed at a particular interval?

6. Member
    Yes use zip ties.

7. Member
    How often should this be replaced?

8. Member
    No recommended interval, have not replaced mine since new, and no plans to do so.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    No interval in the compressor filters, but the filter ahead of the engine mounted tank is an annual item.

10. Member
    Gotcha. Thanks guys

11. Member
    Well where is filter ahead of tank?
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoore View Post
    No interval in the compressor filters, but the filter ahead of the engine mounted tank is an annual item.
    That's debatable. No harm in replacing it, and MANDATORY if restricted or soiled.

This filter is normally in the Black w/Blue Stripe oil line, within 18" of the engine mounted tank.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That's debatable. No harm in replacing it, and MANDATORY if restricted or soiled.

This filter is normally in the Black w/Blue Stripe oil line, within 18" of the engine mounted tank.
    Thanks for chiming in Don, for some reason I was under the impression that recommended annually. I don’t mind I’ve been doing it more than recommended, but not sure where I picked that thought up.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I've heard it argued (with merit) both ways.