BBC SPONSOR

Motor toters...what do you guys use and why?

I have a new boat with the new merc 225 pro xs 4 stroke. I want a good motor toter. I want something that will protect the transom and the motor. The newer style ones scare me a little bit. What is your take on them and what do you use>?
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    I think there are limited options for the 4S so far other than the traditional style. I would anticipate BCB coming out with something like the largemouth lou's for the new Mercs. I really like mine on the Opti. I am like you I do not have much faith in the motormate style braces. They are only locking the motor, protecting the steering/trim. Does nothing to protect from the shock going down the road or the motor mounts.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Thats why I keep leaning more toward the older style. They are not sexy but sure functional!
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

the old style plain jane Transom Saver is what BCB recommends

5. BBC SPONSOR
    YUP, ordered one from Jeff at Bill's. shipping it to my door
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Both BassCat and Mercury recommend the old style that connect the lower unit to the trailer.

7. Member
    I use the DD26 Mean Mount, have had zero issues on the 2-stroke and 4-stroke. Super solid, great colors, excellent quality. Most boat manufacturers recommend the old style, I prefer the new style, locks the motor solid plus the DD26 mount has upgraded bump stops that are used on gas tanks. Dave has worked with the guys at Mercury on the product as well.
    2018 BassCat Eyra - 250Pro XS

8. Member
    What about for Yamahas?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    the old style plain jane Transom Saver is what BCB recommends
    END of debate in my book.

10. Member
    The Largemouth Lou's is another product that worked well. But I do not think they are making them anymore. It too supported the same if not better than the original transom saver. It connects at the lower motor mounts to the trailer protecting the steering in conjunction with the needed support for the transom.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat29 View Post
    The Largemouth Lou's is another product that worked well. But I do not think they are making them anymore. It too supported the same if not better than the original transom saver. It connects at the lower motor mounts to the trailer protecting the steering in conjunction with the needed support for the transom.

This is what i use and love it. It does not scar the lower unit and also helps with side to side movement. I have an extra that i might be willing to sell but the bushings are missing so i would need to see if i can get new bushings.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

12. Member

This is what i use and love it. It dos no scar the lower unit and also helps with side to side movement. I have an extra that i might be willing to sell but the bushing are missing so i would need to see if i can get new bushings.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis S. View Post
    What about for Yamahas?
    Basically a motormate or the old style. I been using motormate for the last 6 years with no issues what so ever.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

14. Member
    DD26 has a new Yamaha mount coming out incredibly soon, saw the prototype the other day
    2018 BassCat Eyra - 250Pro XS

15. Member
    You can buy Largmouth Lou transom savers on the Basscat Boats website $175.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superpro View Post

You can buy Largmouth Lou transom savers on the Basscat Boats website $175.
    they still have them but in speaking with them all they have is what they have. They may be working towards another supplier or something if I remember right.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    This is what i use and love it. It does not scar the lower unit and also helps with side to side movement. I have an extra that i might be willing to sell but the bushings are missing so i would need to see if i can get new bushings.
    Me too.

I used a stick type for years, and still do from time to time just for variety. But, I’ve used a MM the past two seasons and it’s worked just fine.
    None of them are transom savers. They don’t support enough meaningful weight to make a difference going down the road.
    Use what you prefer. A good stick type, or MM does the same thing. They lessen the amount of motor bounce and keep it centered during towing. The transom is still carrying the weight of the OB.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"