Need some more RPMS

Need a couple hundred more RPMs

Running a 2012 Z520 with a Hydrotech HPDI, was a 225 that they put a phase 2 kit on. I am running a 25pT1 with s little extra cup by Johns hotprops. My jackplate is a 12in slidemaster. 2in PTP. Motor dyno shows 285HP at 6100rpms. Rev limiter set to 6150. I am having trouble getting my RPMs up without over trimming and causing a lot of chine walk. 5800 RPMs at 71mph with a light load and myself. Plenty of water pressure, I can really kite the bow if I keep trimming but it starts to walk pretty bad and gets tough for me to contol. It’s almost like I need the boat to run nose down a little more. I am pleased with holeshot and midrange. The boat feels easy to drive and there is very little steering torque. Any advice would be appreciated. I am not much of a speed guy and would rather have holeshot and midrange. I just want my boat set up to optimal performance. Just wondering if I can get 2-300 more RPMs out and gain any performance. Tha ns

2. Banned
    Learn to keep it from walking

3. Member
    You need more seat time or someone to show you how to drive your boat because trimming down isn't the answer.

Get a long stretch of lake and get it up there where its steady. Then when you trim a little more and it starts to walk, put a very slight amount of left turn on the wheel. I mean small. When you feel the chine stop because of your wheel input, ease the the wheel back to straight and let it pop back up on the pad. Do it over and over again until your gaining control of the boat a little quicker each time. When u get comfortable repeating that then trim it up a little more and learn the process at the new trim. Eventually you will get to the point that you make the slight steering correction before the boat even falls off the pad and you will be driving the boat in a straight line with minimal wheel inputs, maximizing your trim, and getting those extra rpms outta the motor. Until you can do it comfortably you have to work your way up to it so you dont kill yourself. And remember as your practicing, never chop the throttle to gain control of your boat. Always bump the trim down a bit. If you chop the throttle you will end up in the lake. If you have a buddy that can drive take him with and watch the art of steering input to keep the boat on the pad. Its very cool and when you get it, it just happens naturally
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

5. Member
    I’m wondering if I need to raise my JP a little more, I feel like I can drive a boat pretty well but this is some pretty wicked chine walk. Maybe I just need some more seat time or a combination of both.

A motor that is too deep will walk like crazy, But you said your ptp is two inches. You will have to play with the plate height and you will find a sweet spot where you dont have to overtrim and your speed and water pressure will be really good. When they are in the sweet spot they are easier to drive, but most boats over 70 mph require some steering inputs. Play with the height of the plate, watch your psi and do what I said in the earlier thread about slight steering corrections. Report back
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

7. Pat Goff
    This is not a personal slam.
    It is normal.
    Until you learn to drive your boat, and only until you learn, there is nothing that will let you find it's potential.
    Once you understand the forces at work, and how to balance driver input against those forces, it's a frustrating experience. Good news? We all had to learn EXACTLY the same thing.
    Rather than a book on how to drive, best advice is to find a seasoned pilot who can spend a half hour on the water in your rig to show you exactly what's going on. This will save your months of frustration.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    This is not a personal slam.
    It is normal.
    Until you learn to drive your boat, and only until you learn, there is nothing that will let you find it's potential.
    Once you understand the forces at work, and how to balance driver input against those forces, it's a frustrating experience. Good news? We all had to learn EXACTLY the same thing.
    Rather than a book on how to drive, best advice is to find a seasoned pilot who can spend a half hour on the water in your rig to show you exactly what's going on. This will save your months of frustration.

This is spot on.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

9. Member
    I’ve ran the boat for 7 years, I recently swapped engines and it just runs different and is a littler harder to tweak than what I am use to. I will definitely take your advice and I appreciate it. I think I need to bump the plate up a bit and spend some time behind the wheel. Will report back on what my progress is. I think I can win more tournaments if I get another couple MPH out of the set up, Hahaha!

10. Member
    Obviously joking, I’m happy with the set up but I have some weird desire to squeeze all the performance I can out of it

11. Pat Goff
    Perfectly normal.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

If not signed up yet. Sign up for the MW rally. They’re be several of us there to help you figure it out.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=948369
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

13. Member
    Thanks