New 179 TRX Prop size

Received my new 179 TRX with the Yamaha SHO 115, spent half a day getting through most of the break in period, that was brutal. Now my issue is hole shot, if i throw full throttle to get on plane it just sits there with the nose up and pushing water for probably 200 yards with rpm's sitting around 2000 - 2800. Once the motor winds out it runs really good but still not more than 32 mph and around 5000 rpm's. It has a stainless 18P x 13 1/8" prop new from the factory, should i continue the break in and see if it starts running better? am i doing something wrong with trim? I start off with full negative trim, i even tried neutral trim and that was worse, i'm not sure it would have even got on plane.

2. Member
    Sounds like you are not get full throttle. With that prop it should shoot out of the hole and run 47-48 mph, on the new Merc Proxs 4 strokes they are running 24's, and the boats are running 50mph with good hole shot.

3. Member
    Throttle was something i thought about, i think i need to do a little investigating.

4. Member
    It appears the throttle opens all the way. I turned on the key and watched the butterfly open and close. I guess i will call the dealer, there has to be something wrong with it. My 2012 mercury 90 would run circles around this thing.

5. Member
    It appears the throttle opens all the way. I turned on the key and watched the butterfly open and close. I guess i will call the dealer, there has to be something wrong with it. My 2012 mercury 90 would run circles around this thing.

6. Member
    What hole is the motor mounted on the transom. What altitude are you.

7. Member
    The motor (if i remember correctly) is in the 3rd hole from the top at 3300 feet. After doing some reading i am beginning to think it may have something to do with the shift position switch, i will have to check that tonight when i get home. It sounds like the switch cuts out cylinders until it is put into gear, so maybe it is only running on 2 cylinders. Which is how it feels at full throttle trying to get on plane. I think i will go over to the yamaha motor section and see what people say until i hear back from the dealer.

I was also wrong on the 5000 rpm's, my brother who shot some video of it showed it at only 4600 maxed out.

8. Member
    I put this over to the Yamaha forum, thanks for your help jjtriton