Thread: Abu Revo Reels

Abu Revo Reels

Looking to get a few new Abu Revo Reels. I have been using the Gen.1 Revo SX and STX Reels for at least the last 10 years and have yet to have one break. Are there any problems with the new Gen.4 Reels that I should worry about? Have heard rumors that the Gen.3 Reels had problems, but don’t know that for a fact? Any recommendations or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks Mike

2. Member
    Gen4 are rock solid. I wouldn't say the Gen3 were problem filled, but the Gen4 is a step up in durability, braking, and ergonomics. The trade off is/was that the Gen4 is slightly heavier than the Gen3's.

The X and SX (in my opinion) are the best value and performing reels in the Revo lineup. I think Abu has a sale on their website right now on the SX for $127 or so. I've read that some folks have found the X on Ebay for close to $60.

I’ve got several Gen 3 STX and SX reels, and 2 Gen 3 Premiers. With the exception of one STX (which was replaced free of charge by AG after a year and half) I haven’t had a single issue. I purchased a Gen 4 STX a few months ago. Very solid reel with brass gears which to me, is the only real difference between it and the Gen 3s. I will mention I’m not a big fan of the addition of the release button on the palming side plate. Hasn’t presented an issue. Just didn’t see a real need for the change. I thought the crossframe screw setup worked just fine. TT liked it.
    http://tackletour.com/reviewaburevo4STX.html
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Member
    Replaced my Gen 3 STX with Gen 4 STX. Loving the Gen 4 ones a LOT better..

5. Banned
    Gen 4 Revos are really nice. Solid, and can be found for really good deals. Almost pulled the trigger while drunk shopping on a Premier.

Go to the Sortman’s Outfitters eBay store and find the reel you want. Then contact (PM) sportmansoutfitters36301 on here and let him know what you’re looking for. He’ll normally knock even more off the price. They have killer AG Revo prices.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

7. Member
    Highly recommend the gen4 SX. I'm currently using 4 of them.