Need a couple hundred more RPMs

Running a 2012 Z520 with a Hydrotech HPDI, was a 225 that they put a phase 2 kit on. I am running a 25pT1 with s little extra cup by Johns hotprops. My jackplate is a 12in slidemaster. 2in PTP. Motor dyno shows 285HP at 6100rpms. Rev limiter set to 6150. I am having trouble getting my RPMs up without over trimming and causing a lot of chine walk. 5800 RPMs at 71mph with a light load and myself. Plenty of water pressure, I can really kite the bow if I keep trimming but it starts to walk pretty bad and gets tough for me to contol. It’s almost like I need the boat to run nose down a little more. I am pleased with holeshot and midrange. The boat feels easy to drive and there is very little steering torque. Any advice would be appreciated. I am not much of a speed guy and would rather have holeshot and midrange. I just want my boat set up to optimal performance. Just wondering if I can get 2-300 more RPMs out and gain any performance. Tha ns

2. Member
    Learn how to drive the boat to control the chine walk before I starts.

3. Member
    Ive got a fair amount of seat time in a bass boat. Not saying that someone pretty savvy might not be able to do it but I can’t drive through it even while making a gradual left turn I can’t hold it.

4. Member
    Raise the motor.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duckband417 View Post
    Ive got a fair amount of seat time in a bass boat. Not saying that someone pretty savvy might not be able to do it but I can’t drive through it even while making a gradual left turn I can’t hold it.
    Its a balancing act that takes time to learn.....If you can't control it, then you need to get better at it.

6. Member
    Also double check your steering is bled correctly and has no slack

7. Member
    If you have good water pressure then raise the motor you will use less trim and gain rpms nose will be lower . 1/4” at a time . You are already at 2” below pad so you can’t go up very far . If you go to high the boat will switch ends on you REAL FAST & you will be wet . Rangers are fishing boats not performance boats . So you are limited . Might be best to just learn how to drive it like it is and go fishing .

8. Member
    In addition to the above recommendations, make sure your boat is balanced side-to-side. I carry a level and check it every time I launch so I can move things around before taking off. On my setup, it makes a huge difference.

First question: Do you gain speed when you trim it up to the point where it starts chine walking? Rule of thumb: Raise the engine until you increase RPM with no increase in speed, and/or you lose water pressure. If you have good water pressure, and the boat is gaining speed when you bump up the trim, then it starts walking, it's a driver issue and not the boat. You don't "drive through" chine walking. If it starts walking, you're behind the curve already. You have to make the corrections BEFORE the walking starts, when you first see the bow move right or left in the least. Also, if the engine is too high, you will have a lot of torque on the steering wheel, making it difficult to make the small left tweaks to keep it balanced on the pad.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

10. Banned
    Raise the engine 1/4" at a time until you lose speed or water psi. That T1 has a large diamaeter so lift shouldn't be a problem.