Thread: Lake Cumberland

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lake Cumberland

Hwy 127 is blocked on the Albany end of the dam because a big section off bluff fell off into the road.

I don't have a facebook account but if a facebook page is a public page I can look at it. Last night I google search facebook Lake Cumberland and found two different pages that had pictures of the rock slide. Apparently this happened Monday afternoon around 2 PM. It was a close call for a man and woman because they had stopped at the end of the dam to take pictures. The man heard the rock make a popping noise and yelled for his wife to get in the truck immediately. When the rock slide happen it was within a few feet of where they were parked. There was also lots of high water pictures. There was one current picture of 76 falls and the waterfall was more like 16 ft falls Plus there was one of 76 falls during the all time high level back in the 80's and the water was almost all the way up to the falls. There was tons of old historical pictures as well as current pictures.

The reason I was on FB last night was because yesterday at the barber shop I was talking to someone who said there was a FB video of water spewing out of the dam. Supposedly this was happening from the earth part that was repaired a few years ago. I could not find any video so I suspect if this was true I would have heard about it on the news so I am writing it off as rumor but the rock slide did happen.

3. Member
    The video of the leak is from the dam itself. Corps said it happens when the water level is this high

4. Member
    Gene, I haven’t heard or saw anything about the dam either. Probably some jackass starting rumors like they do a lot. Right after the dam repair was finished it was told that it was about to give way among other things. I use to work for a corps contractor in the 80s mowing the parks & whatever else needed done & have been all the way to the bottom of the dam. There was seepage then & we chipped calcium formations that were like stalagmites & stalagtites that grew in caves & carried them out in 5 gallon buckets to empty into a dumpster sitting in the parking lot below the dam. If anyone went plumb to the bottom like I did they would have thought the dam was about to give way then & would have started all kinds of tails.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassky View Post
    The video of the leak is from the dam itself. Corps said it happens when the water level is this high
    Yes it does. You always have seepage in high water.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    have been all the way to the bottom of the dam. There was seepage then
    Oh wow. Not sure if could do what I'm envisioning you did.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    Oh wow. Not sure if could do what I'm envisioning you did.
    was a weird feeling at first, but after a few trips out with a full bucket in each hand you forgot about it & started thinking about how tired your *ss is.

8. Member
    Crazy water levels.

9. Member
    740.48. Now and rising.

10. Member

11. Member
    GREAT info straight from the source. Thanks for sharing. This appears to be historical for the lake.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

12. Banned
    Has a long way to go before it gets close to historical levels

13. Member
    It was over 742 at 5:00 pm. Tva wolf creek is a good way to find out when they update it.

14. Banned
    I don’t think we are gonna get the predicted 6” of rain.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Has a long way to go before it gets close to historical levels
    3rd all time highest crest as of now and still rising. Going to be the second highest by the end of today. 6 feet to go to break the record and another 2-4" of rain predicted for the weekend. I'm thinking it will get there.

16. Member
    745 this morning.
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

17. Member
    746.05 at 10 this morning.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    3rd all time highest crest as of now and still rising. Going to be the second highest by the end of today. 6 feet to go to break the record and another 2-4" of rain predicted for the weekend. I'm thinking it will get there.
    Me too.

Here is the road going to Jamestown Marina, another one from him shows him fishing in the parking lot

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Lake...6811457690801/

20. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Here is what I found on historical water levels...

751.70 May 13, 1984 – Recorded at 2 a.m.
    747.12 April 15, 1962 – Recorded at 4 p.m.

Most up to date I could find...

2/21/2019 2 PM CST 746.65

They're calling for 2.5" of rain in the 48 hour window of Fri/Sat so it will get close to the record high or break it if we get that much rain. Right now the ground is so saturated just a small amount will make the lake rise more than normal. I know the rain we got earlier this week made Cumberland rise 2.49 feet in a 24 hour period.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast