Thread: Best refrigator

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Best refrigator

Who makes the best refrigator anymore? I really would like tohave have the largest one available and really don't have a need for a freezer. I have a large freezer on the back porch.
    Cheaper to keep a kid in tourney fishing than paying attorneys to keep them out of jail !!

2. Member
    If you dont need a freezer--look at a commercial fridge---about same price and much better product
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

For "standard" home refrigerators, I'd say either Samsung or LG. They're rated at or near the top on Consumer Reports. Kenmore is up there too.

If you're thinking about a "built-in", I'd look at Miele, Sub Zero or Thermador.

I just went through this, mine went out last month and I replaced it with the one the wife wanted, a very nice looking Samsung with the black stainless steel finish. It's loud, the shelves give you very little room and the storage on the doors sucks big time. While Samsung does make some very good looking appliances, the quality seems very poor. I have 3 year old Samsung dryer that went out last month as well, was considered "not economical to repair". Thank God I purchased the Lowes extended warranty and was able to get a full reimbursement because the factory warranty wouldn't have covered the repair at all... only 3 years old and the tub was cracked. After reading more reviews, I discovered this was a very common problem. After purchasing the refrigerator, I read the reviews and was very disappointed, tons of problems. If I was going to buy a new one today, based on the research I did that was too late in my case, I would be buying a Whirlpool.

Been real happy with our Kenmore. Had it over 12 years now.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Samsung is horrific. Google them. Their own support forum is filled with complaints about the refrigerator section not cooling and service people not being able to fix it. Compressor is good, all electronics changed and they still don't work. Our service guy told us we were lucky we got 9 years out of it.

GE (some made by Samsung), Whirlpool and Maytag sadly just feel cheap compared to Samsung and LG. Like the handle will fall off in your hand if you open it too much and there is a lack of smoothness in the hinges.

Sad state of affairs.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Don't know about the best but I just ordered two Frigidare fridge only models from Lowes yesterday for our food pantry. They are equivalents to the four we currently have. They are on sale for $749,

Do not buy a Samsung. Absolute junk. Get one with the fewest bells and whistles because there is less to go wrong. Ive had great luck with Fridgedaire
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    If you dont need a freezer--look at a commercial fridge---about same price and much better product
    They cost almost twice the home models.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    For "standard" home refrigerators, I'd say either Samsung or LG. They're rated at or near the top on Consumer Reports. Kenmore is up there too.

If you're thinking about a "built-in", I'd look at Miele, Sub Zero or Thermador.
    If you want to pay a lot of money and replace it every 2-3 years, buy Samsung. That way you'll have a new model all the time. BTW, Consumers Reports reliability and satisfaction reports are BLANK for Samsung fridges.
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.

Sadly there are no good ones made any more. It's a shame something that $$$ will only last 6 years. Mom and Dad have been married 65 years and still have their original frig a Hotpoint
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

12. Member
    If you look around on line ---no commercial ones are not twice as much---wife has a bakery and got one for 1200.00
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

13. Member
    I'd go to a used appliance place and pick out something, as noted ... lots of corporate junk.
    Hope they choke on the profits because we surely choke on the prices and average lifespan.

14. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Buy what is on sale.

YETI

16. Member
    We bought a french door model KitchenAid (part of the whirlpool family), the fridge part is great but the freezer door frosts up on the left side. They have been out multiple times to repair/replace things and it gets better for a while then comes back. One tech lectured us that "you must close the door from the center", guess we have been doing it wrong all this time.

Getting real hard to find good appliances now, I think all the "green" initiatives have ruined the market for good dependable units. All the stuff they need to do to make it compliant with energy star ratings have killed durability.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Getting real hard to find good appliances now, I think all the "green" initiatives have ruined the market for good dependable units. All the stuff they need to do to make it compliant with energy star ratings have killed durability.
    Yes, that's why the hinges are crap, the knobs fall off, the springs are junk, etc.
    The entire assembly is garbage. I can nearly toss the newer washing machines.
    Try picking up my nearly 20 year old unit and you'll be at the hospital quickly.

Thanks for all the great info, wife was looking at a smsung product.
    Cheaper to keep a kid in tourney fishing than paying attorneys to keep them out of jail !!

CR rates LG and Samsung highly in most all reviews. Our Samsung has been trouble-free for 10+ years. And Yes, they're all junk compared to those built decades ago. But, that's inconsequential at this point. Look at what offerings there are out there, pick one that fits your needs, and hope for the best. I use CR ratings on appliances because it gives me at least a starting point on build quality and reliability. They don't always get it right, but they do they do all the leg work and give me educated choices from which to pick. And if you do pick a high priced built-in be prepared to pay high priced built-in service call prices as well. Just because they cost more guarantees nothing.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I wouldn't mind having something like this.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Maxx-Col...48RB/203949638

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast