Best 7’10 to 8’ Long Flipping Rod

Been looking into a few models and would be willing to spend up to around $350

what’s your recommendations?

also curious when you tend to use the longer length vs 7’2” to 7’6” flipping rod?
    Last edited by sofakingbigbass; 02-19-2019 at 06:40 PM.

2. Member
    I punch a lot of deep weeds 10-18ft and like a little longer rod to pick up line on the hookset. Personally I think the dobyns 795 is the finest flip rod in your price range.

I use my 7’ 9” St. Croix Legend Tournament Punching rod for Flipping and Punching duties. Perfect for both.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Member
    I’ve neen eying the champion 805 flip. Anyone have any experience with this rod?

Quote Originally Posted by sofakingbigbass View Post
    Been looking into a few models and would be willing to spend up to around $350

what’s your recommendations?

also curious when you tend to use the longer length vs 7’2” to 7’6” flipping rod?
    Please describe what you mean by flipping, there are so many variations of that term used that it’s hard to give an accurate recommendation. Also what weights and how heavy cover? Generally speaking anything around 1oz without being crazy heavy/thick cover the Orochi XX A Mart flipping special is hard to beat. Absolutely love that rod.ń
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

6. Member
    I prefer fitzgerald rods for heavy flipping and pitching. Everything else I tried lacks the power to horse them out of the slop.

7. Banned
    If you’re flipping I’d go with a dobyns 765 flip if your punching I’d go with a 795 or 805 extreme

ALX Rods PowerBolt. 7'11". Plenty of power to horse them out. 5.5oz total rod weight.

We usually see a 7'2" to 7'6" "flipping" rod used when guys are actually pitching. That is... the spool turns on the reel - so its a type of cast. Someone truly flipping - the reel spool is engaged and does not turn on the presentation of the bait - usually wants a longer rod so they have more line to deliver the bait with.

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    We usually see a 7'2" to 7'6" "flipping" rod used when guys are actually pitching. That is... the spool turns on the reel - so its a type of cast. Someone truly flipping - the reel spool is engaged and does not turn on the presentation of the bait - usually wants a longer rod so they have more line to deliver the bait with.
    This is an important distinction - flipping and pitching are two different techniques. Pitching is what a lot of guys I talk to refer to as "flipping". Flipping is as described as above and a technique far less often used than pitching. Punching is a whole other game Which are you doing, what size baits, what kind of cover? There are a lot of great rods for each option, any size baits, and any type cover well within your price range.

10. Member
    I like the Powell Endurance 795

11. Member
    I’ve had a lot of rods but my Zombie 7’10” rod has been great
    if you want a rod that does both VERY VERY GOOD
    VALKYRIE 7’6” All you’ll EVER WANT OR NEED

12. Member
    I've been really happy with the Dobyns 795. Handles heavy weights really well, plenty sensitive, and does a great job of pulling bass out of some of the nastiest/thickest vegetation.