Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ANY REASON TO BUY A HELIX 9 SI G3N OVER G2N???

Hey guys any reason to get a helix 9si g3n over a g2n? Right now I have a hds 7 gen 3. I got it to see catfish on sidescan but I guess you need a 9 10 or 12 pixel wise to see fish and shadows of sidescan. I can get a g2n cheaper than the newer g3n I am just curious how well you guys can see Bass,crappie, catfish on sidescan on the helix. Do you need a helix 10 in order to do that or you can do it on a 9?

I just want a good unit the structure u see on mine now is awesome but I wanted to see a 30lb cat 50feet to the left of the boat mark him and fish him. But I don't know if getting a g3n is really worth it in the long run. Also seen videos of ppl trading in ducer to hummingbird and getting a upgraded ducer for 80$ if yours is un-opened now is that related to the first gen helix and getting a nicer one like the g2n comes with or can you do the same with your g2n and get a better ducer. This will be mounted at helm and it will be added to transom and I will not need one at trolling motor. Thanks for the info I just don't want to waste money on a g3n when it has only slightly better 2d and side thanks.

G3 has more powerful imaging so Si is extended especially in the Mega range.

G3 Di goes deeper

G3 has Better Chirp 2d (dual Spectrum)

3. Member
    Sorry guys I'm not a speech writer lol u might have to read it twice.... I might be able to get a 9 g2n mega si for $950 with my veteran discount but the g3 is anywhere around $1399-1499 just trying to justify. Lol be nice if someone could YouTube a g2-g3 right beside each other on the water!!

4. Member
    To answer your question about trading transducers.... People are trading unopened transom mount transducers for trolling motor transducers.

According to the needs you stated in your post you would just use the transducer that comes with you new graph.

5. Member
    The 9 will,give you a great pic and Imhave used the 9 si mega for a season of fishing. Then got a 10 DI mega and networked the 2. 10 is just better due to way more pixels than the 9. Both are g2n’s. The G3N’s have more power and still give a tad crisper pic yet than the G2N’s. For a long term investment, if you have the money, get the newest and enjoy!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridge_runner91 View Post
    To answer your question about trading transducers.... People are trading unopened transom mount transducers for trolling motor transducers.

According to the needs you stated in your post you would just use the transducer that comes with you new graph.
    Thanks for info

7. Member
    At 69, and having used the 9 for a season, I love the 9 Si mega G2n but in Jan. Installed the 10 g2n DI and after networking, totally blowed away by the view the 10 gives me on SI DI and 2d. Just ordered a 7 mega g3n to add to the front and next to the 10 for mapping and 2d/DI as I also run the 360 on the 10. Can’t say I will ever upgrade again, but heck, we all love our toys! All networked, great system! If you want even better, get the 12” megas as they rock. Bigger is just better!

8. Member
    jidean23 look hard on you tube I seen the 2 units side by side done on there , a good story to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by jldean23 View Post
    Hey guys any reason to get a helix 9si g3n over a g2n? Right now I have a hds 7 gen 3. I got it to see catfish on sidescan but I guess you need a 9 10 or 12 pixel wise to see fish and shadows of sidescan. I can get a g2n cheaper than the newer g3n I am just curious how well you guys can see Bass,crappie, catfish on sidescan on the helix. Do you need a helix 10 in order to do that or you can do it on a 9?

I just want a good unit the structure u see on mine now is awesome but I wanted to see a 30lb cat 50feet to the left of the boat mark him and fish him. But I don't know if getting a g3n is really worth it in the long run. Also seen videos of ppl trading in ducer to hummingbird and getting a upgraded ducer for 80$ if yours is un-opened now is that related to the first gen helix and getting a nicer one like the g2n comes with or can you do the same with your g2n and get a better ducer. This will be mounted at helm and it will be added to transom and I will not need one at trolling motor. Thanks for the info I just don't want to waste money on a g3n when it has only slightly better 2d and side thanks.
    No that does not apply to the MEGA SI units. It is done for SI units that come with a Compact SI transducer like the first generation Helix 9 SI unit and 899's to upgrade to the larger HDSI transducer.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 02-19-2019 at 07:29 AM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Banned
    THe G3n pulls fish off of the targets and bottom much better than the G2 did.

Buy the 10, you won't regret it.

11. Member
    Most importantly the g3n's software might actually work correctly

12. Member
    Yeah the 10 g3 in 1,999$ lol can't afford that I can get a 10 g2 for $1399 I don't know what to do lol

13. Member
    You need a Ph D to run these anymore. Which frequency? Med chirp? High chirp? Low surface clutter? Low sensitivity? High sensitivity? Which ping speed? Still better than the old paper graph. The only good thing about the lake being iced over for 5 months is i can read all of theses forums and watch videos to try to figure it out. It’s an interesting challenge. I bought a helix mega si 9 last Fall that hasn’t hit the water yet. I’m ready.

14. Member
    My big issue is I have went from a garmin 93sv biggest piece of junk in the market....The worst 2d in sonar history and lied and said you can see fish on side vu which was was a lie and after after a video and posts garmin actually removed that info from website because of my information and video..... even after they lied I wanted my money back and had the info screenshots of website they refused to return money and said I should have bought a higher end unit to see fish on side vu... then I said well ill try a hds 7 gen 3 well all the hype and etc and lowrance said yes you can see a pod of cats on side scan 70 ft away from boat, I said he'll yea get the unit and done more research and tried every settings possible and do I see fish on side scan nope sure didn't. I fount out that the 7 doesn't have enough pixels per inch to see fish on sidescan. At times I believe I have seen fish but I am not for sure. I have seen shad on 2d and di then I go way to the side to see them on side scan......guess what not a shad one, but I go back and shad are still there.

Words can't stress all the money I have spent on units hyped on there website and on youtube and come to find out its a big lie and can only be seen on a hds 10 or 12??? Now the helix had me interested I was like hmm maybe for once a 9 or 10 will fit my need. Heck if there is a school of stripers 80 ft to the left hopefully the helix can spot them or a 53lb blue cat can be spotted behind a log?? Maybe not but some videos sure seem to have a helix 9 or 10 that can do that.

I couldn't find a g2 vs g3 comparison video I watched and watched videos. To be honest I am not finding many videos on the g3 he'll if I watch a g3 helix 12 video that will not tell me what a 9 or 10 video. Some are not a clear video or the retards are so far away you can't see nothing!!

15. Member
    Jldean I understand your frustration. Garmin's sidescan will find structure but even a $4000 8612xsv won't mark fish with sidescan. Lowrance is a little better and their newest active imaging looks like it might work, somewhat. I don't think it is better than an older unit running the HDSI transducer. I run a facebook group on sidescan and sonar and maybe twice in the last year has anyone shown fish on sidescan that was not on the 2D screen using a unit besides a humminbird. I disagree with you about why the HDS 7 doesn't show fish. I think the bigger the screen the better, but I don't think the HDS 16 will show them, it's not a pixel problem. You will mark fish on a Helix G2 Mega and a Helix G3 Mega+. The mega plus has a much wider view and that's worth it to me. I wouldn't go under a 9" screen size.
    Nick Garrott
    BOE Marine
    25' C-Hawk
    18' Privateer

16. Member

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    That's what I want to see is your unit 9-10 g2 or g3

Quote Originally Posted by jldean23 View Post
    That's what I want to see is your unit 9-10 g2 or g3
    There is no SOLIX 9 or SOLIX G3.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    I know that so that image was off solix not a helix?

20. Member
    Solix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast