2010 250 PRO XS Lower Unit Confusion

Found the dreaded water in lower unit fluid when winterizing this year. Had a certified mechanic freelancing do the work, which I regret, but that's another story. The seal kit ordered and installed was correct to my serial number (1B792031), but low and behold, leaked like crazy due to wrong seals. Did some digging with the dealership where I bought the boat and they indicated it was an 859399T13 gearcase. Good news is that I now have the correct seals, bad news is that Mercury indicates that isn't the gearcase on the as-built spec sheet. Dealer is stating they never changed it, original and only owners says it original, nothing shows on warranty history, so there's "no" explanation on the lower to serial number confusion. I've also attached a picture of what appears to be a serial number on the unit, which further confuses those who've viewed it. A T13 replacement gearcase is $1985 and a T29 (standard for my S/N) replacement is double at $3843 through Crowley Marine. What is the difference between a T13 and a T29, in the event I need to replace it in the future? Furthermore, want to know if the T13 is an acceptable/compatible replacement for a T29? Is it possible that it is factory original? Any information would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know this is a fishing forum.. But that smells extra fishy.

3. Member
    no such p/n as 859399T29,there is how ever 880686T29 that has changed to A43 which has the verado style gearing in it and a much stronger gear case than the "T13",which some pxs mtrs were using, to my knowledge there were never any 225 or 250pxs mtrs built with T13 cases ,and no comparison in gear strength hope this helps ya JOE PS; smells more like ( bull shot)
    Last edited by JOE54; 02-19-2019 at 08:02 AM.
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Went through this two years ago. Everything joe said is correct and I was told the T13 case has no business on anything that can make more than about 235 prop shaft hp. My 250 pro xs had t13 case so I was not happy. Called previous owner and got to the bottom very quickly. He had locked up original torque master the summer before and his “mechanic” supposedly charged him 4500 bucks for the 1800 dollar case and told him he was getting screaming deal on torque master. Wouldn’t give me name of mechanic so I suspect he was lying. Willing to bet your situation is remarkably similar. I was able to find a new old stock t29 for a very good deal so I’m all set now.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See this all too often- usually shady mechanic or owner that wants the cheapest method to hit the water again.

As Joe indicated, that gearcase was never used for 225 or 250 ProXS engines.

Your engine serial number (1B792031) came with the Verado-Style Gearcase (as is evidenced by your Model Number, 1250P73ED).

Only mystery is "who put it there".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Still a mystery as to how the mismatched lower got there, and what I'm going to do in the future with it.

Good news is I took it to the shop where I should have gone originally and althought it took them 2 months to get to it, its holding pressure now. Hopefully I'll get some time on the water here soon to verify the fix. As for why it was leaking, turns out a rather heavy handed certified mechanic hit the main carrier so hard when re-installing that the race for the prop seal was oblong and it was leaking around the OD of the propshaft seal. He claims it held pressure after his repair. I would tend to disagree!

Learned my lesson!

Thanks!