2d return vs down image return

This has probably been hashed out already but I couldn't find anything with the search. I've had my 998 for several years now, came with the boat. I've noticed when I run the 2d and down imaging side by side the depth they show varies significantly. In addition it seems like a rarity that I see any detailed returns near the bottom on the down imaging but often a faint haze near the bottom. Meanwhile the 2d is a hard solid line. I've attached a screen shot. I thought I had taken three or four but apparently I only managed to grab one and its not the best. I've got a helix 10 on the bow and it doesn't seem to have this issue.

Is this just the different cone of 2d and down? Or do I have issues? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 Basscat Puma FTD 250 Merc Pro XS

DI is displaying more bottom to the sides so in your example with the sloping bottom, more is recorded with DI.

Additionally your 998 does not have Down Imaging, just composite Down Imaging views created by blending the two SI pulses.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

And go slower. Keeps the fish in the "beam" longer and will show better "dots"

What is your screen speed set at?

4. Member
    I believe i usually run either 4 or 5ish. Try to roughly go off of the mph rule.
    2011 Basscat Puma FTD 250 Merc Pro XS