Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fifth Wheel with boat trailer, tandem set up

So looking at how many people tow a fifth wheel with a boat behind the 5th wheel. Pro's and Con's.

I have a new F-350 SuperDuty and am looking at a 30' fifth wheel. Want to tow my 18.5 foot AlumiCraft behind that for trips to Erie, and the U.P. RV dealer said I would need to reinforce the rear of the 5th wheel to accept the boat. Already looked at the MI law requirements for doing so. Feasible ?

dvl2700

2. Member
    Back in the 80s I had a 1980 Ford F100 with a 302. I towed a 23' travel trailer (probably as heavy as today's larger trailers) and a 17' Glastron 177 with 115 Merc inline 6. Only towed 60 miles or so to the lake. There was one steep hill were her tongue was hanging out, but always got there and back with zero problems. Never been to Erie but have ridden a motorcycle across the Michigan UP and I see no problems with your setup.

3. Banned
    I'd hate to be on the losing end of litigation if such a rig was involved in a collision. Yes they are legal in some states, but not in others.

Fifth wheel trailers and travel trailers have inherent weaknesses in their frames. They'd have to be greatly beefed up to handle a hitch capable of handling a boat.

4. Banned
    You have to have a class A (truck driving) license here and a doubles endorsement, if I remember correctly. Most newer 5th wheels are built as ultralights and the frames are not really set up for a decent hitch with weight on it. I camp at a lake about 20 times a year and I usually only see one rig like this a year and it's usually pulling a 12' aluminum tiller behind it. It looks like a pain, as they have to drop the boat off, go set up the trailer, and go back and retrieve the boat.

I'm looking into building a camper on a old gooseneck car trailer so I have plenty of frame to pull my glass boat.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Banned
    Beware of the length restrictions in your state.Several years ago I got pulled over by a state trooper in Kansas,he gave me a $150 ticket for being over 65'.That's the last time I did it.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    dont come to the east coast big no no

I have been towing doubles for a little while now with no problems. My fifth wheel came new with a towing hitch. Be aware of the laws of the states you are traveling in. PLAN your route ahead of time. Get a good camera to monitor your boat and a tire pressure monitor sys for both. You will not be able to see your boat behind you. Dont get in a hurry, ever, you will be fine. I have hitched both, drove to the lake, unhitched and set up camp, etc by myself several times and its not a big deal. It seems daunting at first but get a routine and stick to it. There are several guys on here that do the same thing. Pro's for me were, sleeping in my own bed, shower in my own shower, not going out for every meal, camper pretty much stays packed with extra fishing gear I take, I just have to pack clothes and food and ready to go.
    IMG_2445.JPG
    IMG_2816.JPG
    2014 Phoenix 721
    2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS

We do it all the time. We have a 38’ Redwood 5th wheel, a Chevy 4 door diesel dually and a 521 Ranger. 5th wheel came factory with a heavy duty hitch. Got the best hitches money can buy and never a problem. I’m way over the 65’ length limit but have never had a cop say a word about it. One of these days I’ll probably get hammered. I have the cameras and the TPM and the booster for it. Looks intimidating, it pulls and drives very good. Just keep it between 60-65.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

10. Member
    I don’t think there legal in NC.
    Heres a good link
    https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid...triple_towing/
    Russell Winneberger
    2002 Stratos 20 XL
    ColorVision Painting

I saw Alabama was not on that list. I have a buddy that does it all the time here. My store is right on Hwy 59 between I-10 and Gulf Shores. In the summer you can see all kinds of triple tows coming by.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

12. Member
    My wagon train. 2013 f-150 Eco. 23'9" Shasta Flite. 2006 TR21X Triton. I had to put a sidewinder hitch on the trailer for the short/short box. The truck pulled it just fine. I actually made it to 6th gear on a couple of flats in tow haul mode.tcb1.jpg
    Yes it's under the rated loads.

13. Member
    I do it. So does transamz9. I've been doing it in ga for 8 years.

I built my hitch myself. I've only towed the Stratos 200 a free times, but had a Stratos 283 for a lot of years before that.

14. Member
    When yall built the hitches yourself... Did you replace the square original bumper and put the hitch on that? Planning on rigging a hitch on mine too just haven't figured out the engineering for it yet. Any pics would be great too! Thanks
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

15. Member
    My dad built his with thicker tubing. I bought my trailer and it had the hitch already on there with the standard bumper. It is fastened to the frame under the trailer with angle also. I don't think my dad did that. I'll try to take some pics tonight.

16. Member
    Michigan requires the safety chains to be hooked to the frame of the rv. The hitch receiver is attached at the bumper, rear frame cross member and an additional cross tubing. You can see this in the 1st pic.

17. Member
    Thanks for the pictures! Im not sure if Alabama does or not. Something else to have to check into. Thanks!
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

18. Member

I built my own hitch. I cut the bumper off, and went with thicker wall tubing. I think I went a little overkill, but it's better than not enough.

19. Member
    Man that looks awesome! Overkill can be a good thing when it come's to a hitch like that. It looks great! Thanks for the pictures!
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast