Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lithium starting battery (Relion hp)

I know it been discussed but wanted some updated experiences with lithium cranking battery (specifically Relion HP) and SHO. I know there’s been a couple who’ve tried Relion with issues but in talking to a couple of board sponsors seems like they’ve got at least a few dozen running the Relion HP w/o issue. Would like to hear if there are more out there running it w/o issue. Gonna need a battery this year so looking for more recent feedback of any out there. Thanks

rob
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

I know for my SHO250 did not like the Battle Born lithium battery at all. They are group 31 size but the computer in the battery is the problem. I ended up with a fifth battery for the cranking battery only and the old lithium battery is used for all my electronics. With the old lithium being used for cracking the SHO, it would shut down when the battery on-board computer saw a full charge.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

I had to change Lithium (Relion) with a Lithium Pro. I called LithiumPro and had them make me one that would work with a SHO. The problem with the Relion is thst the battery would shut down when it reached 14.6 volts it was a way of protecting itself so when the battery shut down the motor would shut down. Not a good felling when your running WOT. I have had the Lithium Pro for over a year now and it works just fine. Now if your going to get some Lithium for your T/M you can use either of them I have 3 Relion for that.
    Richard Woods VA Beach,VA
    US Navy ETC/SS Retired
    SKEETER ZX225 / 225 SHO W/Power Pole CHARGE
    GET HER DONE! (Helix 10 G3, 12 G3,Garmin ECHOMAP 106 /livescope and M360 Bow all NMEA2k)
    Relion lithium batteries for T/M and LithiumPro for Motor)

I have had the same discussion with Relion on their 100 ah HP battery. They assured me that it would work fine on the SHO. The problem with the lithium batteries is that some production models of SHO had an alternator regulator that will charge at 15 volts. This high of a voltage will shut off the BMS on the battery to protect the cells. And for good reason. This high a voltage will fry the lithium cells and maybe start a fire. Lithium is not recommended to charge at over 14.6 volt.

It is unclear to me if Yamaha changed their charger regulator or what years to avoid.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

I’ve been down this road. Bought 4 new Relion Batteries, 3 75 AH for trolling and the 100 for cranking battery. One hour on the water and 4 or 5 shut downs. When I would hit 3800 to 4200 rpm the BMS would shut the battery down. Went straight back to the Relion dealer in Tyler and gave all four of them back and got a refund. That’s the understanding we had cause I was concerned and was told no problem. This was on a 2014 Sho on my 2014 21i class.
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    I have had the same discussion with Relion on their 100 ah HP battery. They assured me that it would work fine on the SHO. The problem with the lithium batteries is that some production models of SHO had an alternator regulator that will charge at 15 volts. This high of a voltage will shut off the BMS on the battery to protect the cells. And for good reason. This high a voltage will fry the lithium cells and maybe start a fire. Lithium is not recommended to charge at over 14.6 volt.

It is unclear to me if Yamaha changed their charger regulator or what years to avoid.
    so that’s what I’m worried about, though on the Relion website, the specs for BMS overcharge protection is 15.4 V . So I’m unsure if this is a change in the Relion bms specs? I have a 2015 so it may have the higher voltage regulator but I’m not sure how I would figure that out?

CHARGE SPECIFICATIONS
    Recommended Charge Current 50 A
    Maximum Charge Current 100 A
    Recommended Charge Voltage 14.2 V - 14.6 V
    BMS Charge Voltage Cut-Off 15.4 V (3.85 ±0.025 vpc)
    (1 ±0.2 s)

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfdong View Post
    so that’s what I’m worried about, though on the Relion website, the specs for BMS overcharge protection is 15.4 V . So I’m unsure if this is a change in the Relion bms specs? I have a 2015 so it may have the higher voltage regulator but I’m not sure how I would figure that out?

CHARGE SPECIFICATIONS
    Recommended Charge Current 50 A
    Maximum Charge Current 100 A
    Recommended Charge Voltage 14.2 V - 14.6 V
    BMS Charge Voltage Cut-Off 15.4 V (3.85 ±0.025 vpc)
    (1 ±0.2 s)
    Have someone run the boat at cruise power while measuring voltage at the battery with a digital volt meter. Maybe do the test several times. Some Yamaha rectifier/regulators have a voltage output above 15 volts. With a lead acid battery there is no problem. With a battery having a management system integral within then high voltage could cause the battery to disconnect.

Let us know what your measurement indicates and what the month/year of manufacture of your motor is please.

Yamaha interestingly enough does not have a specification for excessive voltage. Only for low voltage.
    Last edited by yam911; 02-20-2019 at 10:27 PM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post

The flywheel, the stator and the rectifier/regulator (collectively the charging system) were changed in 2015. Reason is unknown to me. Perhaps to reduce the output voltage.

9. Member
    Any way to tell what I have? I’m assuming the change was made on the fly? Not beginning 2015.

sorry yam911, just saw your post above the last.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Have someone run the boat at cruise power while measuring voltage at the battery with a digital volt meter. Maybe do the test several times. Some Yamaha rectifier/regulators have a voltage output above 15 volts. With a lead acid battery there is no problem. With a battery having a management system integral within then high voltage could cause the battery to disconnect.

Let us know what your measurement indicates and what the month/year of manufacture of your motor is please.

Yamaha interestingly enough does not have a specification for excessive voltage. Only for low voltage.
    by chance would the voltage reading off my lowrance interface cable suffice? Or needs to be at the battery? Thanks for the help. Boats in the shop so no access at the moment. I do know the voltage on my lowrance unit never goes above 14.6 at speed. At the battery I’ll have to check when I get it back.

11. Member
    I think it would have to be at the battery. More specifically, at the point where the BMS is receiving its voltage.

Voltage at remote devices seem to be known to be on the low side.

12. Member
    So volt meter took a dump. But I forgot that I have the engine interface cable installed and one of the functions is alternator voltage. This should be actual alternator output at the engine correct? I was a little confused in that when I turn the engine key “on” without starting the engine the alt voltage is very similar to supply voltage (actually .1 V less) since I would wxpect more drop to my console graph. Anyways max alternator out put seems to be 14.6V and my motor was manufactured 7/2015.

If your are using the Lowrance interface cable to NMEA then you should be reading alternator output voltage displayed on the lowrance. That is different than reading battery voltage at the lowrance graph and displaying it on the screen. You can select either or both to be displayed. My Lowrance units have consistently read the battery voltage low. Even after i ran 10 ga wiring from the battery to the Lowrance HDS it shows low voltage.

Reading from the NMEA network you are reading data that is sent by the motor ecu and should be more accurate. The only way to read the actual voltage at the battery is to use a voltmeter while its underway however.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

14. Member
    Thanks 519, but there should be no way that my voltage at the battery is any more than the alternator output correct? Can’t overcharge what’s being put in (voltage wise)?

15. Member
    It could be that the alternator doesn’t start charging until 3600 rpm. Not sure but could be the case, that’s why you would need to read it at the battery at the rpm range of it happening.

16. Member
    I’ve run it at all speeds and the alternator voltage per the interface cable never goes above 14.6. I’m gonna check with my new meter but my gut tells me The interface cable is correct. Thanks for all the replies.

17. Member
    Did you ever get those relion batteries working with your yamaha sho?

I have run the Relion 100HP for a season now and have had no problem at all. The Relion 100HP can deliver up to 400 amps for motor starting according to their specs. The Battleborn and others are rated at a max discharge rate of 100 amps. They are fine for trolling motors but not starting. Battleborn are well built batteries as are the Relion.
    There is a YouTuber that tests all kinds of lithium batteries and is really high on the Battleborn for their robust construction and bms system. His tests show they put out at their rated capacity as do some others he has tested. Not all cheap ones do.
    Last edited by Ranger519VS; 02-04-2020 at 12:12 AM.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

19. Legend Boats Moderator
    No issues with the Relion on my 2016 SHO

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timminit View Post
    Did you ever get those relion batteries working with your yamaha sho?
    I did not, I ended up going with an Ionic and it has been great. The guys at Ionic basically guaranteed it would start my SHO (or I could return it) whereas ReLion would not. Since I was fairly sure it would be fine but given a few instances where a few guys had issues with lithium and SHOs the ability to return it was more comforting than now trying to sell my new Relion. I was already running Battleborns for my TM so. I need for the battery if it wouldn’t start or run with my motor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast