Battery exploding!

My kid was prefishing today for a Sat. tourney. He hit his trolling motor first thing and heard a bang from the back of the boat. No smoke, motor still working. Batteries went totally dead within an hour. When he finally checked it out he found one of his batteries had half the case gone...melted, blown off, something. Any ideas? I told him to start by replacing all the batteries that are old, 3 years or so..Could have been bad.1550533971000167ac2287f038f0c40807766bd5a0b58a812c445f5922cf7001c0c3db9ef20a48afb195c5b945d82c2d.jpg

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Not all that unusual. After the battery charges it is full of hydrogen. Loose plate makes a spark when a load is applied and boom!
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I had one blow up in the carport sitting at the house with a maintainer on it. It literally did explode there were pieces of plastic everywhere in the bottom of the boat. Acid was on everything. The best part was it sure cleaned the bottom of the boat really really good when I washed it all out. It was probably 3 years old or older.

4. Banned
    Be glad no one was hurt! Probably a bad battery giving off gas and a loose connection that arced. I had a wrench slip while removing an 8D battery and it exploded right in my face. I was very lucky. I’m pretty sure my hearing was permanently damaged but I’m glad to still have my eyesight. Always.....always be careful when working with batteries especially in an enclosed space. That was 20 years ago and I still get anxiety around batteries.

5. Member
    You need to wash a lot of stuff. I think I'd take all the batteries out and get a bucket of hot or warm water and mix up a lot of Bicarbonate of Soda, baking soda in it, and throw it all over everything in the bilge to neutralize the acid. Then if it isn't below freezing I'd use a pressure washer and clean with the front of the boat jacked up so as not to send acid up forward.
    Glad nobody was injured.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Not all that unusual. After the battery charges it is full of hydrogen. Loose plate makes a spark when a load is applied and boom!
    Yes Ventilation is so important when changing your batteries.
    Even leaving the bilge lid open and the drain plug out will allow some bit of air flow.
    AGM batteries do not vent like the regular batteries do.

Glad no one was hurt.

7. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmess View Post
    When he finally checked it out he found one of his batteries had half the case gone...melted, blown off, something. Any ideas?
    Replace lost electrolyte on future batteries with water not allowing plates to become exposed.

Coca Cola works well to neutralize the acid as well. A bit sticky but you can wash it off later. Old biker trick to get rid of spilled acid or a build up of cable corrosion...
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

I had a battery blow up on me a couple years ago. Unplugged the charger and headed to the lake. Dropped the trolling motor, hit the go button, and boom. It was more than likely low on water and hydrogen built up in the empty space in the battery. I used baking soda to Neutralize the acid and then rinsed with lots of water. Glad no one was hurt.

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Archer View Post
    Coca Cola works well to neutralize the acid as well. A bit sticky but you can wash it off later. Old biker trick to get rid of spilled acid or a build up of cable corrosion...
    Chem 101 would disagree with that 100%. Coke contains phosphoric acid and won’t neutralize an acid. That’s why it cleans the corrosion which is a salt.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​