2003 HPDI 225 Overheat Light

I just replaced the electronic control panel with rocker switches on my Skeeter. While checking things out to make sure everything was working, I noticed that the low oil light would come on for a few seconds on initial key on like it is suppose to but the over-temp light would not come on. Is that normal in 40 degree temps? I read resistance from the common purple wire to each light and both read around 17 ohms so I think the bulb is good. Anyone know what generates the test ground in the motor to light these lights on initial key on? I have a similar post on the Skeeter forum (10051200) and if that violates forums rules please delete the one on the Skeeter forum. Thanks,
    D-Dubya

2003 Skeeter ZX225
    Yamaha VZ225HPDI
    Humminbird 898c SI
    Hummingbird 858c DI

2. Member
    On my 2001 ox-66 motor to test the overheat light i would pull the connector off the temp sensor on top of head (there's one on each head I think) and touch the wire to ground. That would lite the dash low-temp light. If the light came on, it meant it was a faulty temp sensor not activating the light. Not sure if this helps you...

3. Member
    Mine does the same thing with key on.

If you want to test them:
    on the motor where the temp sensors are, ground the pink wire and it will show the light and sound the horn with the ignition key on.
    to check the oil reservoir tank on the engine, just left the cap/sensor straight up and it should light the light and sound the alarm.
    same on the oil tank in the boat.

if you ever want to know if the buzzer is working just remove the clip from the kill switch.

Things that should be checked yearly. Hope that helps.

4. Member
    Checked the wiring back to each sensor. Grounding the wire caused each to light the light and sound the buzzer. Gives me peace of mind that all is working properly except the test circuit. Hate to have something that doesn't work the way it is suppose to. Thanks for the replies.
    D-Dubya

2003 Skeeter ZX225
    Yamaha VZ225HPDI
    Humminbird 898c SI
    Hummingbird 858c DI