Thread: Curado DC

Curado DC

Handled one for the first time today at Cabelas and was not impressed at all. For $249 I think there are way better reels out there. What are guys thoughts who actually have one and has used it? It just didn't feel smooth or solid to me, maybe I'm wrong on this one, but I'd stick to Lew's or a Zillion SV for that price.

2. Member
    Did you handle a display model or one from the box? My experience has always been you can't get a good feel for a reel if all you handle is the display model because they get abused with no maintenance. That said, I'm not a fan of Shimanos anyways.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

3. Member
    I have 3 shimano 201 Dc
    they are very nice. So far i have thrown a lot of different baits.
    They cast farther then most reels i have owned.
    Very good reel for skipping jigs.
    Russell Winneberger
    2002 Stratos 20 XL
    ColorVision Painting

4. Member
    I bought one around Christmas. Because of ice on the lakes around me, I was only able to cast it around in my back yard. Based solely on doing that, I wound up buying another. The two I bought are both extremely smooth, quiet, and cast really well. I also own a Daiwa Tatula SV TWS, and that reel is amazing too. The reason I bought the Curado DC's was mainly to help with casting into the wind and to help with skipping, something I'm not great at. Those are the two areas where the DC's are supposed to shine. Maybe once I get them out on the water and actually fish with them I won't be as impressed, but as of now I really like them and can't wait to fish with them.

5. Member
    Those things do feel like a POS when compared to say a Calcutta DC.

6. Member
    I don't own a Curado DC (yet) but if it's anything as smooth as my Curado K then it's way smoother than any Lews reel I've ever had and I have owned just about all of them except for the Lower end Lews and the Team Lews Pro Ti.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Weird. I wonder if the $300 price tag difference has anything to do with it.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I bought one around Christmas. Because of ice on the lakes around me, I was only able to cast it around in my back yard. Based solely on doing that, I wound up buying another. The two I bought are both extremely smooth, quiet, and cast really well. I also own a Daiwa Tatula SV TWS, and that reel is amazing too. The reason I bought the Curado DC's was mainly to help with casting into the wind and to help with skipping, something I'm not great at. Those are the two areas where the DC's are supposed to shine. Maybe once I get them out on the water and actually fish with them I won't be as impressed, but as of now I really like them and can't wait to fish with them.

they are super smooth but not quiet. I got use to the noise already but it make a whine from the DC activating while casting. Sounds like its shifting gears. Nothing intolerable though. I like mine.
    Psalm 91:11

Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    I don't own a Curado DC (yet) but if it's anything as smooth as my Curado K then it's way smoother than any Lews reel I've ever had and I have owned just about all of them except for the Lower end Lews and the Team Lews Pro Ti.
    FYI. It is a Curado K. Only difference is non handle side plate and spool width. The side plate houses the DC unit so it is a tad wider and to compensate and keep the reel the width the same they narrowed the spool to a 150 size. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Its a budget DC reel. Thats all. Those of us that know what a real DC reel is, know the difference.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill-97 View Post
    they are super smooth but not quiet. I got use to the noise already but it make a whine from the DC activating while casting. Sounds like its shifting gears. Nothing intolerable though. I like mine.
    Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant it is super quiet when reeling. I had a Curado 200E7 that I had upgraded with Boca ABEC 7 bearings and those bearings are loud when you reel in since they are ceramic and not oiled. The DC definitely has that DC whine to it, but I actually like it.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    Its a budget DC reel. Thats all. Those of us that know what a real DC reel is, know the difference.
    Just curious to know what feels so much different or better in a "real DC reel"? Lighter, smoother, better adjustability with the DC controls? I'd truly like to know since I've thought about getting a Metanium DC in the future.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Just curious to know what feels so much different or better in a "real DC reel"? Lighter, smoother, better adjustability with the DC controls? I'd truly like to know since I've thought about getting a Metanium DC in the future.
    The 15Metanium DC is a great reel, if you can get past the aluminum gear buzz. The best Metanium was the MetaniumMG DC, based of the D series reels. Same with the Excense. The OG Antares DC was great, as well as the OGConquest DC mentioned before. In simple form, the older Shimano DC reels that were "JDM" only (back when JDM meant something), were the real DC reels.

That's exactly what it is and NOBODY ever claimed anything different! AMAZING!

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    That's exactly what it is and NOBODY ever claimed anything different! AMAZING!
    Right. But like you said, its just a Curado K with a budget DC system. Being just a Curado K isnt impressive, compared to reels of the DC past. But you have to remember, most people see DC, and they think "JDM quality". Then they get one, and its not all they thought it was gonna be. Just a marketing ploy really.

So a company offers those who can't afford a $500-$700 reel a similar platform at an entry level price and it's a marketing ploy? Really? Those who purchase and go fish one will see what an uneducated, ridiculous statement that is!

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    So a company offers those who can't afford a $500-$700 reel a similar platform at an entry level price and it's a marketing ploy? Really? Those who purchase and go fish one will see what an uneducated, ridiculous statement that is!
    Similar platform? Thats the ridiculous statement.

18. Member
    I've owned 3 DC reels, specifically the Exsence DC, Calcutta DC, and now a Curado DC. While all 3 have used different versions of the DC braking system, they've all performed very effectively. I've been able to dial each one into a "fool-proof" mode that has allowed my wife and kids to use at various times, though none of them are very experienced with baitcasters.

I personally haven't distinguished a great deal of disparity between one model's DC braking to the next. To insensate that the Curado DC is vastly inferior to "real DC reels" is far from accurate in my opinion. I view the Curado version as a beneficiary to "trickle-down" technology. I think it's awesome that DC has made its way into a more-affordable market segment.