Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help make my boat fit in garage bettee

I have a new to me boat getting prepped for delivery. The fit in the garage is very tight right now. I have to back it all the way in then turn it by hand and slip it in deeper. Little bit of a PITA. That being said I'm trying to find some ways to make it easier.

One idea is to epoxy some 1x3x8"ish boards to the ground as chalks and ref points to let me know where i need to get the tires. I was also thinking about doing some tape "pathways" on the ground as guide for the path to get to perfect spot.

I'd like to find some kind of back up alert that I could mount to give me an audible or visual alert to tell me when to stop backing up. (kinda like the old tennis ball and string from ceiling trick)

20190215_114319.jpg
    20190215_114308.jpg
    20190215_114056.jpg

What y'all think or what y'all using?

2. Member
    If you could move the hot water heater would be good , if not what about some dollies to put under it , I have never used them so I don't know how much a pita they would be.

3. Member
    3 words.......Tankless Water Heater

4. Member
    I painted a black line in my driveway and I know not to let my rear truck tires go beyond it. With my rear truck tires at the black line my motor is 3 feet from the wall of my garage. I push the boat the rest of the way by hand.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

Move north, the water heater or any other plumbing won't be in the garage!

On a serious note, a tankless water heater would make more room. I would put tape on the floor for guidelines and maybe a dolly for moving the trailer tongue.

I would have a small boat If I had go through what some of youse guys/gals do to get a boat in a garage.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

6. Member
    My boat sits the same way . I painted two black marks on the garage floor that lets me know where the wheels need to be exactly I also went to Harbor freight and bought a set of wheel dollies they work excellent. What I did do was took the wheels apart on the wheel dollies and sprayed them with a lithium grease which helps them move freely works very well .

7. Member
    I have the same issue. I just put down some orange/glow in the dark tape to mark a path but even then it's a pain. I have to lower the motor and power pole(s) to clear the opening and then raise the pole(s) again once partly in the garage. I can usually do it in one or two tries if all lines up well.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

8. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Wheel dollies from harbor freight made my life so much better for this. I am able to fit a nitro z8 (20 foot 1) with a ten inch jackplate and 225 merc into a 21 deep and 20 wide garage because of them. I also bought a seachoice trailer valet that is chain driven so I can manuever the boat into position better as well.
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

9. Member
    I use the shiny Duct tape to mark the spots my rear tires need to be in. It helps me see them in the dark, also a mirror mounted up high will help.

10. Member
    New house with bigger garage.

Get rid of that doublewide huge shelf on the side wall, relocate the hot water heater and put up a few tennis balls for guides. Get some go jacks (the harbor freight junk is junk) and youll be slipping it in there like an ace.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    Another 3 words: Build bigger garage

13. Banned
    How big of a lip is that at the front?

Does it play much bigger?

14. Member
    Remove the lower brace on the garage door, make a line on the floor with tape (for alignment) and consider the tankless water heater.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    New house with bigger garage.
    At least a bigger garage.

16. Member
    x2 on the HF wheel dollies - I got side entry 3 stall garage and its a PITA but with those was able to get boat, truck, and wifes car all in there. boat has to be crooked to fit and luckily I have room to do it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Get rid of that doublewide huge shelf on the side wall, relocate the hot water heater and put up a few tennis balls for guides. Get some go jacks (the harbor freight junk is junk) and youll be slipping it in there like an ace.
    What Jacks you using??

18. Member
    I have a friend who added a doghouse on the back of his shop,,,added 4ft'' to his shop.It allowed his motor to go past the wall.

19. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by perfect-storm View Post
    No!
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

20. Member
    1. Buy a boat that fits in you garage.
    2. Extend the front or rear of you garage so it fits.
    3. Buy another houses that has a larger garage.
    4. Live with lines, blocks of wood and man handling the boat into place.

What did I do? Yep mine was a tight fit i had exactly one inch of free space on the width of the garage door. After man handling the boat into place and taking far too much time not to hit the sides I just did what I should have done on day one. I spent the money and added six inches to the width of the garage door opening. Now I have enough room to back or pull the trailer in and out.

Do you self a favor. Toss the blocks the fancy tape the weird angles and physically have to push your boat. Bump out your garage in the back or front and enjoy an easy time put it in or out of your garage. Anything short of this your going to do one of two things, maybe both. Swear every time YOU get your boat. You will hit something and damage your boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast