2017 Puma / Cougar 250 Opti Pro XS - prop?

If you have that set up what prop are you running?

hows the hole shot? I’m looking to improve mine. Currently running a 25 Fury worked by Ronnie and a CB foil.

Hole shot better, but not like my PII (and I know it won’t be)

thinking of of having him tweak my 4 blade 24 next.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

what kind of time do you have on your hole shot Bill. is it really slow?
    I know my Cougar is older being an 03 but its the same hull and I have a 225 EFI so less HP and mine comes out of the hole great and I'm running a 25 Tempest. the prop has quite a bit of venting to it with 2 plugs open and one with a large plug in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    what kind of time do you have on your hole shot Bill. is it really slow?
    I know my Cougar is older being an 03 but its the same hull and I have a 225 EFI so less HP and mine comes out of the hole great and I'm running a 25 Tempest. the prop has quite a bit of venting to it with 2 plugs open and one with a large plug in it.
    so it is decent with the wells empty.

with the wells full sometimes it hooks up and goes, but other it will just plow and not want to break over. RPM’s get stuck at 3500 and its an issue.

I’m not sure if the throttle may not be opening all the way up.
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

4. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Your running the right prop if you want top end. The 24 4 blade might be better but considerably slower on top
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

5. Member
    Check for wide open throttle.
    Adding extra holes to the prop may help get the extra RPM's needed during hole shot.
    Also, The PII hole shot will spoil you. Nothing else comes close.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

yea I would check the throttle opening up. mine comes out good with full wells

7. Member
    03 model boat and older optimax completely different. Does you prop have extra ventilation. Try adding 5/16ths hole next to each vent and it will improve

8. Member
    I'm running a 25 Fury 3, I have tried several and the hole shot is slow when I'm heavy but overall it performs good. I keep a 25 Fury 4 as a spare it comes out of the hole better but top end is 3-4 MPH slower.

I have a 17 puma, poles, 112 fortrex, 4 batteries, with both tanks 3/4 full and a co angler, running a 25 p fury 3 I have not had any unacceptable hole shot issues. The boat breaks over and gos nose down in a few seconds, it ventilates slightly and reve's up and gos back down from 3800-4200, then it hooks and bites hard, and speed increases. If fishing alone I'll feather the throttle at the break over point and it wont ventilate at all. I'm at 3" prop to pad and I believe I need to raise mine slightly as my top speed is not quite yet there about 74. Sounds like what others said above. Check wot, and glance over other possible service needs?
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

do u run a 26 fury in the colder water temps? Up north here I run a 26 till water get above 70, then I put my 25 on. Is your 25 stock or reworked / Any extra holes drilled in it?
    Last edited by FLbound; 03-01-2019 at 07:01 PM.
    2014 Puma FTD 250 Merc Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by FLbound View Post
    do u run a 26 fury in the colder water temps? Up north here I run a 26 till water get above 70, then I put mu 25 on. is your 25 stock or reworked / Any extra holes drilled in it?
    I have a 26 - don’t run it at all, the 25 has been worked by RG and that made a world of difference. Also the Chris Bailey foil has helped.

Hole shot is ok, just not great. My old PII spoiled me.

I also have a 24 4 blade.

I’m running mid 70’s with the 25.

I see your in FL if you make it Jacksonville area reach out and you can test any props i have.
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Addison View Post
    03 model boat and older optimax completely different. Does you prop have extra ventilation. Try adding 5/16ths hole next to each vent and it will improve
    If Ronnie preped it Do Not Add more holes, esp. if you have a Torkmaster II gear case
    What is the max speed and RPM, Do you have poles on it. If so you may have to go to a 24. Sounds like you may have a motor issue not a prop problem. Call Ronnie explain all the details to him
    Last edited by lpugh; 02-22-2019 at 09:13 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    so it is decent with the wells empty.

with the wells full sometimes it hooks up and goes, but other it will just plow and not want to break over. RPM’s get stuck at 3500 and its an issue.

I’m not sure if the throttle may not be opening all the way up.
    Does it only do this after a hot soak or after a period of idling and slow operation, might be a good idea just to try pumping the bulb up first for a while
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Member
    I have a 25 and a 26 pitch 3 blade fury and my hole shot is horrible with the live wells full and both tanks full. I guess I can live with it with the 25, but I don't want to.
    If the live well is empty or if the fuel is at only about 1/2 it is fine.
    I am not running power poles, I would like to, but I'm not sure that it would ever get out of the hole with them and both the live well and fuel tanks full. I have checked my throttle and it's fine. But I have also seen, (even on this sight) that most have the same problem with these boats.

15. Member
    I am currently using a 26p 3 blade Fury on my 08 Cougar FTD w/ a Merc 250 Pro xs, Holeshot is ok to good, top end is in the upper 70s

Just for a reference I have a 03 cougar hull weight 1450, 250 pro xs, heavly loaded and livewells full 700 ft elevation cool weather, three seconds tops it is on the pad
    25 Fury three prepped by Ronnie
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I m back up in NY waiting for the water to open and it to stop snowing with Icy roads. I m hoping to be on the water in 3 weeks ! But I Will give u a call when i head back down in the fall. Maybe we can hook up and do a St Johns River trip?
    2014 Puma FTD 250 Merc Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by FLbound View Post
    I m back up in NY waiting for the water to open and it to stop snowing with Icy roads. I m hoping to be on the water in 3 weeks ! But I Will give u a call when i head back down in the fall. Maybe we can hook up and do a St Johns River trip?
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

19. Member
    try more venting on the prop?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools