Shimano Bantam MGL

I own all Shimano reels. My lineup includes: Core 101 MG, Chronarch 101D7, Curado K, Curado 70, Core 51MG7, Chronarch 201E7. Thinking of getting a few Bantams. Will I notice a big jump in performance? Would use mostly for flipping and pitching as I have enough reels for bomb casting open water.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

2. Member
    I’m all Shimano as well and fish a wide variety of models and sizes. I have two Bantam MGL’s and am very happy with them. I bought them to use for heavy structure applications - heavy jigs, flipping, pitching, punching, and frogs for the CA Delta. They are a very solid and responsive reel. It’s a versatile reel too as I have also used for Crankbaits and finesse jigs as well just to see its range. Keep in mind that it’s a little heavier than some other Shimano reels but it’s not a deal breaker for me at all. The drag is very smooth and the cast controls are easy to make adjustments with.
    I think you will notice the difference in performance, especially for the applications you’re looking to use it for.

3. Member
    I've got a lot of the same reels you do and I've got 2 Bantam MGL XG's and they are by and far my favorite flipping reels. They are really solid, put them on an extra sensative rod and you'll feel everything.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

4. Member
    Good insight guys - appreciate it. I don’t mind the weight since I am so used to my D7s and a heavier reel balances some rods better in my opinion.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

5. Member
    I’m addicted to them I have 10 in various ratios if you don’t mind the weight they are excellent reels for many uses. Super solid and connected feel to them. If you get one highly doubt you would regret it. They don’t have the 30 lbs of drag like some other reels but the drag is buttery smooth

6. Member
    I’ve got a couple of reels that you have on that list. I gulp/pitch with a Core 100mgfv and have considered switching it to a Bantam. The Bantam I have is great. Cast far enough for me and what I really like about it is how manageable it is when casting into the wind.!

Will you notice a huge difference? That’s personal preference but I wouldn’t mind swapping out all of my LP baitcaster s for one.

7. Member
    I have an HG and love it. About to buy another one this week... I was worried when I first bought mine because so many were popping up for sale but after one day of fishing it I was hooked! I perfer it over the Metanium MGL, it’s more compact and comfortable in my hands. I fish mostly Daiwas but between my Bantam and Aldebaran 30 MGL they make me want to go all Shimano

8. Member
    I bought three and have already sold two. I just can’t get mine dialed in as good as my Daiwa reels.

9. Member
    I run all Shimano’s currently and I do agree with Landar Daiwa’s are easier to dial in I feel, but still really like the bantam. One thing I’ve noticed about the bantam is the spool does not live being over filled. Done reels you can get away with but the bantam turns into a super finicky reel. If not overfilled it sees it’s best performance. Which was Hard for me because I tend yo always spook up the extra bit of line

10. Member
    I have a bantam mgl in the 6.2 ratio, have used it for squarebills, 5&6xds, jackhammers and traps. Very versatile reel, feels solid in the hand but not heavy and is definitely easy to adjust. Revofisher is spot on about over filling the reel, don’t do it lol. First time I spooled it up with invizix, 30 seconds later, respelling again due to the nastiest backlash I’ve had in 27 hrs of fishing a baitcaster. I wouldn’t hesitate a bit to buy another one for sure. Buy one, u won’t regret it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turtdogg View Post
    I have a bantam mgl in the 6.2 ratio, have used it for squarebills, 5&6xds, jackhammers and traps. Very versatile reel, feels solid in the hand but not heavy and is definitely easy to adjust. Revofisher is spot on about over filling the reel, don’t do it lol. First time I spooled it up with invizix, 30 seconds later, respelling again due to the nastiest backlash I’ve had in 27 hrs of fishing a baitcaster. I wouldn’t hesitate a bit to buy another one for sure. Buy one, u won’t regret it.
    You keep track of the hours you use a baitcaster? Wow. That is paying attention to detail. I suck at it.

12. Member
    Lol, supposed to say 27 yrs not hrs��

13. Member
    Lol, supposed to say 27 yrs not hrs��
    Figured. Was just busting on you.

14. Member
    It’s all good brother, my iPhone likes to spell check the wrong words from time to time

15. Banned
    It’s all good brother, my iPhone likes to spell check the wrong words from time to time
    I hate when that happens. For instance, I was out fishing the other weekend, and I went to text my wife "I love you, and Ill see you later". Instead, it sent "Im catching tons of fish, and I dont know if Ill be home in time for dinner".