Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

225 Pro Xs 4 stroke not shifting

Serial # 2B598656

I was fishing a tournament this weekend & my new Mercury would not shift. Was wondering if anyone else is having this issue?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Any warning horns?

Battery size, rating, and connections correct?

Who rigged the engine to your Ranger?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Batteries Plus X2Power Group 31
    There was a warning horn & Merc monitor saying --service shift actuator--
    Evolution Marine rigged the engine.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You will need to get your local dealer to check this, and be sure to print the Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History info.

Verify Clean Power harness is properly connected to the engine CRANKING battery (directly). No switches or jumpers.

If that is as it should be, review above recommended reports and test system to determine cause. Could be as simple as a connector that came unplugged.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Following post, a friend had the exact same issue last weekend with a 250r. Initial diagnosis was no obvious cause, further research needed. He finally shut motor off/on a couple of times, placed in reverse, and it then went into forward gear.

6. Member
    Took it to Dealer.

FaultNum - 3031
    Code Description- Electronic shift control commanded to
    actual position difference
    Failure Type- 6
    Type Description- The device, calculation or process detected a fault
    Runtime - 19.1 hrs
    Engspeed - 629 r/min

Dealer said... defected shift actuator. Part# 8m0156595. They said there is a defect in these actuators, they were not sealed properly & moisture is getting in. He also said there will be a bulletin sent out soon on this issue.
    Part is on back order. Looks like another 2 weeks without a boat...
    Last edited by K Blanchard; 02-19-2019 at 10:06 AM.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hate to hear you're off the water... but glad to hear they identified the problem and have the wheels rolling to get it addressed.

8. Member
    Just spoke to dealer & the Part# 8M0156595 is superseded to 8M0142253 & he has one coming next day air.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    8M0142253 is what the Parts Catalog shows- should be good to go.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    SB 2019-01

11. Member
    Took my boat to the dealer today & they had the shift actuator changed out within 3 hrs. I’ll be back on the water this weekend!!

12. Member
    Saw this coming. Why would you get away from the manual linkage design for this electrical actuator.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Believe it or not- we see WAY less problems from electronic shift engines (as compared to mechanical).

Lots of safeguards that aren't there in full-mechanical systems.

This is a pretty straightforward sealing problem, new part number addresses the problem and engines prior to the start of that new number will have the actuator replaced at no charge.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Saw this coming. Why would you get away from the manual linkage design for this electrical actuator.
    this is why i opted for the manual linkage on my new ranger with the 250 pro xs. but its hard to fight all the new electronics that are coming out in today's world. All of which is basically good.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BCLII View Post
    this is why i opted for the manual linkage on my new ranger with the 250 pro xs. but its hard to fight all the new electronics that are coming out in today's world. All of which is basically good.
    Your mechanical control engine contains the same electric throttle body and shift actuator as the DTS models.

As Don stated, we also see more problems out of mechanical linkages and cables than from DTS systems. I can count on both hands the amount of issues we’ve seen with DTS (actual failures, not from incorrect rigging) in the last 15 years.
    Last edited by davidwademarine; 02-23-2019 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Typo

16. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Don will this be as needed Repair or a recall?

1E080631.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post

1E080631.
    I do not see your engine listed, and it's build date was late enough that you should have no problem in that area.

18. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I do not see your engine listed, and it's build date was late enough that you should have no problem in that area.
    Thanks Don

Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post

1E080631.
    1E080585 was the cut off for the racing models.

Any V6 or V8 outboard with a serial number 2B588807 & below will be affected in the recall. If anyone has an affected engine, refer to the SB Don posted above
    Last edited by 21xTriton05; 03-01-2019 at 07:23 PM.

20. Member
    [QUOTE=21xTriton05;10082384]1E080585 was the cut off for the racing models.

Any V6 or V8 outboard with a serial number 2B588807 will be affected in the recall. ???

Are you saying serial numbers before or after 2B588807 are affected? My serial # is 2B572819.
    Last edited by FD209; 02-27-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast