2018 with factory installed Helix 10 @ console. How much trouble to upgrade?

Considering upgrading from Helix 10 SI GEN2 to HELIX GEN3 MEGA SI at the console.

Also considering moving that 10 up to bow to run 360.

Have a HELIX 10 DI GEN2 on bow already.

2018 Caracal

2. Member
    You will need to run install the new Mega SI transducer. It should fit in the same bracket. Not sure about the power cable.

To move the Gen2 to the bow, if it is just running the 360, then you probably just need to install power, and network, connect 360, and you will be all set. If it will be your only graph at the bow, then you will need to consider the existing transducer, and determine if you want to use that, or if you need to buy a shielded transducer to take advantage of the full features of the SI Gen2.

If you are just wanting to upgrade to MEGA units, then it's just a new transducer - your existing power (and networking if you have the Ethernet box) should be fine. I'm assuming the 10 at the console is flush mounted? That should be an easy swap to a MEGA unit if you stay with a 10. If you are going to add a 360, then you might look at just a Sonar/GPS model for the bow to display it. You definitely don't need both Si and a 360 on the bow! A dedicated screen for the 360 will be the best option, so if you can fit dual graphs up front with it, that is the way to go. If not, you may want to consider going to a Helix 12 up there...

Also remember that if your units are all linked together, you can share screens...so you could display your Si/Di screen from your console unit to your Sonar/GPS only unit. Just need to remember that the source of the image is the transducer at the back of the boat, not off the trolling motor. It's basically just acting like a second monitor for your console unit.

I am just completing my set up which has a Helix 10 MSI G2N on a RAM mount at the console; a Helix 9 MDI G3N on a Sherm's mount at the console; up front I put a Helix 10 Sonar/GPS G2N unit, but I upgraded the transducer to the new XM 9 HW T which has the LOW Q H/W CHIRP for better 2D. I plan on adding a 360 soon, but I really don't have a lot of room up front for dual graphs. I'll have to see how it works with just the 10 and go from there.

BTW - I'm pretty sure a Caracal will be my next boat! I just love the layout and way that boat looks. Need to take a ride in one...
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

4. BBC SPONSOR
    I have a new caracal, helix 10 mega up front G3 unit and console G3 mega as well. my ultrex has the us2 built in and then ran the mega ducer from the unit to the troller. Anyway, you can easily do a swap, I always recommend that you use the new power that comes with the new unit. We sell and install these items and we have found from time to time that when you change the unit, although a year newer in model and subtle changes may not give enough power from the old power cable to the new unit. So, I recommend you swap the power cable out. That's an easy job. If you want a Helix G3 unit, I would be glad to quote you one and the 360 imaging as well.

Topwater All Day has some awesome advice as well about how to run the units. Great input!
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor