Looking at a Basscat Sabre with Yamaha 150 HPDI. Questions

Hey all,

I just sold my xpress H18 and have been looking for a Sabre with a Yamaha outboard. I have found one that is nice and still has a little warranty left on it. However, i had a few questions regarding these hulls. I am mainly curious of how they perform in rougher waters? and how the ride is generally? I have never ridden in one but have always heard great things about the brand and customer service. I love the layout of this 18ft hull. This is what has all drawn me to bass cat. Any information you can give me regarding this set up would be helpful! Thanks in advance!
    2016 Skeeter ZX 190 Yamaha 175 SHO Lowrance electronics

2. Banned
    Y'all don't have any water in Ms big enough it can't handle.

Correction, I see Sardis is 90k acres at full pool. That can get wild with any size bassboat.
    Last edited by ditchdiggerjcf; 02-18-2019 at 12:53 PM.

The Saber is a awesome boat and really fishes and rides a lot bigger than it looks unless you have really really bad water there that gets rough I wouldn't be as concerned with how it does on the water it will do way more than what you think

4. Member
    I had one for over 8 years and it has one of the best rides for an 18' boat out there. Any water can get ugly, but I never felt uneasy or in danger in mine. Awesome boat!!

5. Member
    If you’re coming out of 18’ Xpress I think you’ll enjoy the Sabre. I own one and while it doesn’t ride like a 20 footer it does well. Very responsive hull

I also went from an 18' Xpress to a Sabre. You will be amazed at how good the Sabre rides and drives compared to the tin rig. Xpress builds a fine boat, but the heavier glass hull just rides better. Way better on the troller as well.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

7. Member
    As a guy who's gone from a H18 to and X-19 to a new Pantera Classic there's no comparison in the ride. When I got into the Classic it took me a while to get use to not getting my teeth rattled by wakes or being blown around like a kite.

I wouldn’t trade my Sabre FTD for any size boat for where I fish. It’s never failed to get across a rough lake when needed. High, dry ride once you learn to drive it. BassCats pack a lot of air under the hull once you start trimming up. Once you learn how to drive a Sabre you’ll be fine in rough water. Within reason, of course. Mine does very well on windy East Texas lakes. Best 18’ boat on the market hands down.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. BBC SPONSOR
    The fit and finish of a basscat is unmatched, I spent last weekend at the boat show. I am coming from an aluminum ranger and the ride is unmatched....the cats are so well put together, no plastic, clean looking. you wont find a better boat.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    I don’t think I am hijacking this thread but curious how much bow lift you get on your Sabre??? The bow on mine sure likes to run flat.

11. Member
    I had my old 07 Sabre FTD in water so rough you couldn’t see over the waves. It always got me back to the ramp. You just have to drive it according to the water conditions.

Yand, no lift in a Sabre? I had a 175 on it most of its life, long story but originally had a 150. Either motor would lift the hull. The 175 would flat out turn it into a white knuckle ride if you didn’t respect it. Something doesn’t sound right. Are you sure the hull isn’t just lifting and the bow staying down? You should feel it lift...pop on pad.

Have the high pressure fuel filter changed before you buy the 150 HPDI. That can be pricey. You can likely change the 10 micron yourself. The 150 HPDI is a good one if you keep it maintained.

12. Member
    bass cats don't run nose high. Perfectly normal.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

13. Member
    Tanks old timer and rat fisherman, yeah the stern lifts easily just not much bow lift. I did have Ronny Gilbert work on my fury and it’s definitely better.

I have been in some fairly rough water on Lake Martin in Alabama, where the lake is at it's widest. Between the wind and the damn wake boats, Martin can get some 3 footers easily, and I have never gotten wet. If you look at the front half of a BassCat, the hull design does two things...it helps pack air under it to get lift, and it is turned down slightly at the outer edges of the hull so that any waves you cut with the bow are forced both out and down. You have to learn how to drive it, of course. I can say this with certainty: I had a Blazer 190 Pro V, which is a foot longer than my Sabre, and it would rattle the fillings out of your teeth when the water got really rough, regardless. With the 150 HPDI, set up right, you should see speeds in the low to mid 60's depending on load. I have a 175 SHO, and it will run 70mph with me and all my gear and 30 gallons of fuel. A really good driver could probably get more out of it. At 70 the Sabre is almost literally flying because of the air under the hull, and it is not bow high.

Both the HPDI 150 and 175 are very reliable engines, if maintained properly.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80