Changing ultrex steering cable

My steering cable broke on my foot control on my ultrex. Already have two new cables. Can someone give me some insight on how to do it? I didn’t see any videos online and did a search on here. I’ve never had a steering cable break, so I’ve never had to replace one. Is it similar to a fortrex? I’m sure there’s a video on them somewhere. Just trying to know what I’m getting into before I get into it.

Thanks.

2. Member
    It is best you bring it to an ASC. It is still under warranty.

3. Member
    As said above, it is still under warranty. Take it to an ASC.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    So let’s just pretend like I’ve got to get back on the water and not be boatless for two weeks and I already have the cables and am going to do it tonight, any tips?

5. Member
    Guys just to let you know some people don't have an ASC anywhere close to them, and shipping is a hassle and expensive. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get back on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Guys just to let you know some people don't have an ASC anywhere close to them, and shipping is a hassle and expensive. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get back on the water.
    Like me..

I have taken them loose from the steering box so I could replace the factory cable sleeve with a braided one. Here's what I did
    First thing --I turned motor with the foot pedal full down in front.- next- back the tension screw off.. Remove the wrap drum cover - unplug the wires under the cover and it will expose two screws that hold the cable anchor-- before going any farther make sure to take note and make some marks as to where the cables are in relation to the cable drum pulley, as this stuff will only work one way.
    I did not take mine loose from the rocker in the foot pedal so you will just have to look and see.

Here is all I had to go by. Just keep clicking on Minn kota then bow mount trolling mtrs-- ultrex --until you get to foot pedal diagram
    Good luck !
    .https://motors.johnsonoutdoors.com/P...am/Parts.aspx#

7. Banned
    Just take your time and take lots of pictures. I tore mine down yesterday because the cables were a hot mess and twisted from the factory. I couldn’t get the cable assembly to lay right last year no matter what I did. I’m taking care of it so I don’t have the same issue this season.

I did take the sheath that hoses the wiring/cables are in and shoved a piece of 7/8” or so pipe inside it today to open it up and straighten it out. I have an old rod sock that I’m putting over the ends of the wiring/cables into to use as a guide to slide into the sheath and pull the cables back through. Sounds easy. Lol

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Yes not all ASC's are close. As said above there are no videos of this procedure. It can be tricky since this troll motor has auto and manual foot pedal, so to speak. If you want to stumble thru it, and you are somewhat mechanically inclined then take your time and get it done. Take a lot of picture so you can put it back as you took it apart. The key to the whole thing is that the cables cross in the jacket and are not straight through. What i am saying is this: with the foot pedal on the deck and you facing forward, the left cable on the foot pedal becomes the right cable at the wrap drum.

9. Member
    The hardest part will be getting the cables back thru the sheath. Just remember toe down=clockwise. Test the direction before you button it all up

10. Member
    Good info guys