Thread: Livewell Pumps

Livewell Pumps

My dad and I want to tackle replacing the livewel pumps on his ‘99 Astro. Is there a particular brand/size (gpm) that we should look for? I don’t have access to the boat right now, or I would just go check out the existing pump serial numbers. Also, anything we should be aware of when replacing the pumps? Is it as simple as removing old pumps from hoses and replacing? Or are there some little tricks that help?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Member
    https://www.flow-rite.com/

Id deff say flow-rite. There’s a livewell builder that’ll tell you every part you need based on how you want it to run. They are also extremely responsive to emails if you have any questions. It’s honestly as simple as just running new pipes and connecting the pumps. Best thing to do is make the pipes accessible for you, sometimes it might mean relocating the pumps.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    The first thing to do is to see if they are cartridge pumps. If so, you can just get new cartridges and leave all the plumbing alone. Much of fixing a livewell system is finding out where it is broke.

I bought a boat one time where the seller said the livewells hadn't worked in years and I would have to replace the whole system. Pulled the boat home, bought a 12-pack and decided to work on it. Opened the back hatch and traced the wires to find a fuse holder with no fuse. Replaced the fuse and everything came on. 1 beer in and 50 cents and I was in business.

Flow-Rite would be for livewell components that aren't pumps, but any pumps they sell are the main brands. Past that, squib's got it ironed out. You'll need to get a look at it as you may be able to get by with just new cartridges, or may need to replace the pumps and not all pumps are set up the same way - there are differences in inlets, outlets, styles, etc. But once you get that ironed out, make sure you put in a cartridge style, that way if things mess up in the future the only thing you have to do is twist out the old cartridge and twist in the new.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

My 96 Astro has flowrite valves, controls, etc but the pumps are these ones in the 500 gph size......

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/john...ine-bilge-pump

Find out what brand and if they are a cartridge pump. If they don't work now, test to see if there is power to the pump first. If so, remove the cartridge and clean it and the pump housing. Try the pump with the cartridge out of the housing. Still not working, replace the cartridge. I'd step up to a 750 GPH for the live wells and a 1000 GPH for the bilge. I'd also add an Automatic bilge pump if you don't already have one.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. mikesxpress

Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    The first thing to do is to see if they are cartridge pumps. If so, you can just get new cartridges and leave all the plumbing alone. Much of fixing a livewell system is finding out where it is broke.

I bought a boat one time where the seller said the livewells hadn't worked in years and I would have to replace the whole system. Pulled the boat home, bought a 12-pack and decided to work on it. Opened the back hatch and traced the wires to find a fuse holder with no fuse. Replaced the fuse and everything came on. 1 beer in and 50 cents and I was in business.
    The Flow-Rite site is a good resource. I fixed many boat issues with a 12 pack through the years. It's kind of like having your cake and eating it too. Once the 12 pack was gone working on the boat was done too.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO