Thread: $1,973 LEDs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

$1,973 LEDs

From the WSJ:

The New York City Housing Authority (Nycha) has a more modest goal of a 30% reduction in greenhouse-gas emissions by 2027. As part of its plan, Nycha is switching to LED lighting, which lasts longer than incandescent bulbs and consumes less energy. Sounds smart, until you see how many union workers it takes to screw in a light bulb.

One recent project focused on 23 housing developments, and changing the light bulbs and fixtures there cost $33.2 million. Supplies account for a fraction of that cost. Under Nycha’s Project Labor Agreement, electricians make $81 in base pay and $54 in fringe per hour, and overtime is usually time and a half. Add administrative and contracting expenses. All in, Nycha paid an average of $1,973 per apartment to install LEDs.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Banned
    Yep. When politicians are pushing something....follow the money.

3. Member
    Dang! They may as well just have the Pentagon do it.

4. Member
    I think they might as well install solar panels to the apartments also.
    Then they could start an investigation to see why solar doesn't work at night.

5. Member
    I'm positive they did a cost /benefit analysis to make sure it was beneficial, just like the Amazon deal.

6. Banned
    Have you ever hired a union crew to do some work for you? There's a reason why

7. Member
    The residents aren't all that thrilled either:

“I can buy LED myself,” said Barbara Jones, 69, who has lived in Cypress Hills since her 20s and is dismayed by the disrepair. Others we interviewed said they’d rather see money go first to getting rid of vermin, mold and lead paint, tidying filthy premises, or improving safety.

Bad thing is, this is tax dollars being spent very foolishly. The government is run amok and is used to wasteful spending. Tax credits on solar panels, wind turbines, etc in the energy market is asinine. Those business models should stand on their own without help form the federal government. I know i receive no tax credits for my business and the IRS still wants my tax dollars to give away to someone else's business. Enough already.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

Another anti-union thread

If you don't like unions stop hiring them and stop buying union made products. But you won't because you like your union made products.

10. Banned
    I like my union,schedule, pay,family insurance and all the cool things they do as far as getting a area at the baseball games with all you can eat bbq,a day of paintball wars,salt water fishing trips,work site bbq lunches. Just the little things.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Bass Hunter View Post
    Another anti-union thread

If you don't like unions stop hiring them and stop buying union made products. But you won't because you like your union made products.
    No, it is against wasting money on the Green New Deal. There would be no complaint if they had used those union workers to fix the places up to make them more livable.

12. Member
    So, how many fixtures per apartment? If it is more than 5 per, I don't think that's to over blown, especially for NY. How much does it cost for an experienced electrician to come into your house to replace 1 light fixture, $200-$300.

Just ballparking it here: Standard 1 bedroom apartment, 1 light fixture at the entryway, 1 in the kitchen, 1 in the living room, 1 in the bathroom, 1 in the bedroom. 5 total $1,973 for the apartment = $395 per. If you were to spec this out how much lower would you be if you had to go into the NY housing projects to replace lights?

13. Member
    I had the same problem with the headline.

We also don't know just what was replaced.

The real issue is spending the money at all.

Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    From the WSJ:

The New York City Housing Authority (Nycha) has a more modest goal of a 30% reduction in greenhouse-gas emissions by 2027. As part of its plan, Nycha is switching to LED lighting, which lasts longer than incandescent bulbs and consumes less energy. Sounds smart, . until you see how many union workers it takes to screw in a light bulb.

If they they knew a non-union worker could do it without cross threading, dropping, stealing, or not showing up——- they might hire a few.

Always love the union bashing threads.

Guys,

Let me be clear...I AM NOT pro-union. I'm not anti-union either. But, a wrap rate of $135/hour is not too bad. Especially in NY in 2019. And, doing the math, we're talking about 14.5 (or so) hours per apartment. This might not be as simple as "screwing in a light bulb". There could be florurescent fixtures that need replacing/re-wiring, ballasts removed, new LED fixtures mounted to ceilings, etc. Any number of things. So, Less than $2K per apartment isn't a bad bid IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    From the WSJ:

The New York City Housing Authority (Nycha) has a more modest goal of a 30% reduction in greenhouse-gas emissions by 2027. As part of its plan, Nycha is switching to LED lighting, which lasts longer than incandescent bulbs and consumes less energy. Sounds smart, until you see how many union workers it takes to screw in a light bulb.

One recent project focused on 23 housing developments, and changing the light bulbs and fixtures there cost $33.2 million. Supplies account for a fraction of that cost. Under Nycha’s Project Labor Agreement, electricians make $81 in base pay and $54 in fringe per hour, and overtime is usually time and a half. Add administrative and contracting expenses. All in, Nycha paid an average of $1,973 per apartment to install LEDs.
    Does that include the 2% off the top that goes to the 5 NYC organized crime families?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

17. Member
    "The real issue is spending the money at all."

You have to start somewhere, and the lighting is an issue that every apartment has. By replacing the lights with LED's you fix one issue and start saving money now, by not spending as much as before.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    Guys,

Let me be clear...I AM NOT pro-union. I'm not anti-union either. But, a wrap rate of $135/hour is not too bad. Especially in NY in 2019. And, doing the math, we're talking about 14.5 (or so) hours per apartment. This might not be as simple as "screwing in a light bulb". There could be florurescent fixtures that need replacing/re-wiring, ballasts removed, new LED fixtures mounted to ceilings, etc. Any number of things. So, Less than $2K per apartment isn't a bad bid IMHO.
    Do you really think they have fluorescent fixtures in housing projects? More likely a bare bulb in the ceiling.

There was a program in town a few years ago, replacing all lights in businesses with LED’s. A friend of mine owns a body shop, most the lights in the shop were 8ft. Fluorescent bulbs. Outside security lights were Sodium. The bill was $6600 for all lights replaced
    ( non-union electric company) his share was less than $700. The program was sponsored by our energy company.

Took the guys (3-4 guys )about 4 days to change everything out in the shop,

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Does that include the 2% off the top that goes to the 5 NYC organized crime families?
    Yes its included , everybody gets a taste . Might think a local politician might have a brother with an electrical business .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast