Question Plastic fuel bowl problems on 2009 VZ250

I recently purchased some maintenance parts for my 2009 VZ 250 including the fuel filter element. Upon removing the plastic fuel filter bowl I noticed it was extremely difficult to remove being very tight all the way. I placed the new fuel filter element in bowl with new 0-ring and attempted to reinstall the fuel bowl. The plastic threads would not engage properly into the cast metal upper part and resulted in a slight cross threading of the plastic fuel bowl. My question is this a common occurrence ? Is there a way to run a die threader over these threads & what is the thread type and count ? I am now in bind over a piece of plastic.

2. Member
    Yes, I had the same problem. I could not get the top cap to seal. I've seen posts that mentioned the plastic assemble can warp over time and often needs replacement.

I was also having problems with my lift pumps. I ended up I removing the engine lift pumps and the water separator filter and went with a electric pump and canister water separating filter on the boat. Has worked great for 6 years. Lots of post here on converting to an electric pump.

3. Member
    Thanks Invader for the reply also the electric lift pumps sounds interesting.

You can take off the filter assembly and stick it in the freezer. It helps free it up.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

5. Banned
    Had the same problem while doing maintenance on mine a few months ago. I was told that ethanol gasoline would cause the plastic to swell. After I got it off I let it sit for a day or so and when I screwed it back on it worked fine. I ordered a new one anyway but I'll use it next time. Good luck!

6. Member
    X2 on the freezer method
    Pete | 2011 Ranger Z118 | Yamaha HPDI 150

Just changed mine out 2 days ago. It’s easy once you know to to take it off the motor and put it in the freezer. Ethanol has nothing to do with it. It was an engineering issue. If you buy one currently it screws on and off without freezing it.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

I had to freeze mine the first time I changed the filter but not since. I bought this boat used about 5 years and it had had the powerhead replaced so I am sure the filter must have been changed before. I have used only 91 octane non-ethanol gas since I bought it so it makes me think about the ethanol.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan