Basscat Cougar 2004 Wiring/Electrical Issue

Hi BBC Gang,

I'm looking for a wiring diagram for a 2004 basscat cougar and some advice.

Last season I had a fourth battery installed so my trolling motor would have 3 batteries designated for it and a cranking battery designated for the outboard. A buddy of mine said he could install and rewire the set up through a new Perko Switch and I let him run with it; however, after I took it out on the water for the first time there was weird white growths that grew on the trolling motor and some small spots popped up on the jack plate.

It is not standard corrosion because I wire brushed all of it off and put the motor in the water again and after running it for about 30 minutes it had come back.

From what I have been able to gather from online research and talking to a few people is that there is a polarity issue due to some cross over between the cranking battery and the series set aside for the trolling motor.

Planning on getting a new charger and 4 new batteries as well to make it a clean new start.

Looking at the Minnkota precision charger 4 bank in 10 amp or 15 amp, or the Noco Genius 4 bank that is offered in 10 amp. Leaning towards Costco for batteries too.

Any suggestions or opinions are welcome, a wiring diagram would be nice to have too if someone has one.

Thank you!

Electrolysis. It's a ground issue with the trolling motor. Check with John Jones on here (Jones Trolling Motor) and he'll get you straightened out on the wiring.

3. Member
    perko switch and grounds causing that. there was a long forum in the ranger section, I believe, about that a yr or two ago
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

You have electrolysis because of the routing of the battery leads.

Get a spec wiring sheet from Service and route the wires like suggested, or visit a dealership.

DO NOT DELAY as the fuzzy growth will cause issues on the motors and contacts.

BCB

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    You have electrolysis because of the routing of the battery leads.

Get a spec wiring sheet from Service and route the wires like suggested, or visit a dealership.

DO NOT DELAY as the fuzzy growth will cause issues on the motors and contacts.

BCB
    Awesome, thank you for letting me know, I will contact Service ASAP!