Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    Love how this is blowing up in his face. Where are is supporters now? Don’t think he will be on Ellen soon although robin roberts still standing by him
    Is she really? I saw when she was defending him. LOL. Not sure how anyone can stand by him now..

2. Member
    Back to my earlier question, what happens if he says he won’t talk to the police? The CPD has released the following statement:
    “We are not doing any interviews or making any official statements until we can corroborate some information that was shared with police. Until we meet with the Empire cast member, we are not able to confirm, deny or comment on any of the information that was released unofficially.
    “When this investigation is over, we will have a detailed accounting of the case. While we are not in a position to confirm, deny or comment on the validity of what’s been unofficially released, there are some developments in this investigation and detectives have some follow-ups to complete which include additional investigation and speaking to the individual who reported the incident.”

2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

3. Member
    All the police can do is investigate his initial report and turn their findings over to the DA's office. The DA will determine from the investigation if there is enough to seek an indictment. Smollett has already made his claim, if he chooses to not speak to the police again it is his right under the 5th amendment. It would look odd at this point. I suspect his lawyers are in full on what kind of best deal can we get mode right now. My opinion is he will not get jail time.

4. Member
    So, the police won’t make a public statement without talking to him again - they will just dump it in the DA’s lap?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    So, the police won’t make a public statement without talking to him again - they will just dump it in the DA’s lap?
    Most likely scenario even if they talk to him again.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    My opinion is he will not get jail time.
    Of course he won’t. Nothing happened to Tawana Brawley or Al Sharpton.

But if he did how do you think he would make out in the general population?

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bradjames12 View Post
    I imagine this thread will disappear like the other one
    You're a regular Nostradamus.

8. Banned

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Of course he won’t. Nothing happened to Tawana Brawley or Al Sharpton.

But if he did how do you think he would make out in the general population?
    He would more than probably be fine. Because of his money he would have protected status from one group or another. If he were confined it wouldn't be in any prison where he would be in any danger in my opinion.

So, this whole incident has been made front page news because Smollett and his supporters want to bring attention to how some people are treated unfairly or differently in this country. But, if the true story ends up being that Smollett had a hand in staging the whole thing then his supporters will claim it’s unfair if he’s not treated differently than other people who are caught lying to the police, and filing a false police report?
    Got it. Makes perfect sense.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    So, this whole incident has been made front page news because Smollett and his supporters want to bring attention to how some people are treated unfairly or differently in this country. But, if the true story ends up being that Smollett had a hand in staging the whole thing then his supporters will claim it’s unfair if he’s not treated differently than other people who are caught lying to the police, and filing a false police report?
    Actually, i don't know of anyone i ever knew doing time for filing a false police report. I could count on two hands the number of times i have even seen the charge brought in all my years of service. I am guessing it is a low level misdemeanor over 98 per cent of the time. I don't have any facts to back that number up it is based on my years of experience in the Criminal Justice System.

He won't get in any type of legal trouble for false reporting, it's rarely prosecuted. My ex used local Leo's to harass me for a while during our divorce till one of them finally got a clue and began asking real questions of her and her friends. The prosecutors office called her attorney and she was given a verbal warning, it's a joke like the whole system.

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    In that jurisdiction filing a false police report is a felony (how they define it). If he did hire them, he should be charged with conspiracy to commit a crime as well imo. I’ve seen the filing a false police report charges in Domestic Violence cases mostly...it’s the only way they think they can stop victims from changing their stories; and they only use it on people with long histories of having people arrested then backing out of the story later.

THE reason he should be charged if the Nigerian guys are telling the truth is because it would be showing preferential treatment if they don’t. They SAID they would get to the bottom of this and WHOEVER committed a crime would be charged. I hope we don’t live in a country where this kind of hatred happens as he described in this day and age, and I also hope that if someone goes on national TV using his celebrity platform to push a hate crime for their self interest that they will be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Silence by the police department is smart at this stage. They better be damned sure they have him dead to rights before they say a “victim” made it all up!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

14. Member
    One of the stories going around now is that the motive for the fake attack is that he was unhappy that a letter containing a white substance that was sent to him was not given more attention. It turned out the white substance was ground aspirin. The story claims he sent that letter to himself and the raid on the brothers' apartment produced evidence of it.

If that turns out to be true does it change the narrative?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by warcry View Post

BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

17. Banned
    A Nigerian Prince finally got His $$$ and just so happens, the 'custodian' of said money worked in the Cook County Courthouse where an undisclosed fine was paid, ergo, -Case Closed-

18. Member
    Probably only cost a million dollars in police man hours so far. If it had been Joe citizen, the police would not have investigated the incident. The whole deal sounded stupid to start with. Who the heck would be out on the coldest night of the year to get a Subway sandwich? And, thank goodness that he was able to hang on to that sandwich through the entire incident. What a fricking moron.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Actually, i don't know of anyone i ever knew doing time for filing a false police report. I could count on two hands the number of times i have even seen the charge brought in all my years of service. I am guessing it is a low level misdemeanor over 98 per cent of the time. I don't have any facts to back that number up it is based on my years of experience in the Criminal Justice System.
    I agree it would be rare for him to do a single day in jail. That would cause a whole different controversy. I was speaking to the fact that some will be up in arms if he’s even charged publicly. Even for a misdemeanor. Even if he’s completely guilty.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    I have to disagree. The reason why it’s front page news is that the attackers were supposed to have been Trump supporters. They are deplorables.

If they prove it was staged the narrative will change to the White House creating the division in the country.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast