Thread: Shimano SLX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kailor View Post
    So...to do this upgrade, I'll replace 6 bushings with 6 bearings and I'll need:

4 knob bearings (4x7x 2.5) ...what name brand?
    1 spool bearing (3x10x4)...Hawgtech
    1 Level wind bearing
    1 Drive shaft bearing

Is this correct?
    You need 2 of the 3x10x4 spool bearings. One on each side of reel

2. Member
    6 bushings were replaced. So I need
    4 identical bearings for the handle
    2 identical bearings for the spool

This makes 6 total. Is this correct?
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

You can also replace the bushing under the main shaft. 5x9x3

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kailor View Post
    6 bushings were replaced. So I need
    4 identical bearings for the handle
    2 identical bearings for the spool

This makes 6 total. Is this correct?
    You need 2 - 1030 for the spool, this is an easy upgrade just pull that retainer, hardest part is making sure it don't fly across the room
    You got 4 bushings in the handle knobs they are the 4x7x2.5 and so is the bushing on the worm gear, so 5 of those.
    Then the drive is mentioned above 5x9x3

Hawgtech, Tackletrap or Hedgehog studio all have these parts you need varying in price and supposed casting performance of the spool bearings.

I have had Avail bearings in a revo sx, Hedgehog ZR series in the Scorpion 1000 xt and now Hawgtech in the SLX....The biggest difference I noticed was the hawgtech and I won't say it was because it was a crappy bearings to begin with because I never used the SLX before the upgrade. It just feels that good, better than my Scorp XT....Effortless describes it.... Pitching or underhand casting that puppy will take off on you....that is your fluff warning.

5. Member
    Thanks MCS.
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

For you right handed reelers, there will be an MGL version of the reel available soon in Japan.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Klinger N Ok View Post
    For you right handed reelers, there will be an MGL version of the reel available soon in Japan.
    I honestly dont see a need for an MGL version. Youd be shocked the ability of the regular version with small upgrades. I can cast a bait in the 1/4oz range with ease using a 703 Dobyns Sierra, and 8lb line.

8. Member
    An 8.2 landed....Orginially I wanted another 7.2 but the seller sent the XG model...Well I will give her a whirl. Already upgraded the bearings in the handle and spool...Have to wait til I get more time to swap the worm and drive bearings out....These are sweet little reels though.

9. Banned
    Yes they are quite amazing. Just ordered another 7.2. Gonna use the one I have for tossing Booyah Pad Crusher Jrs using 30lb braid. So now with a backup, and spare parts if needed, Im not worried about blowing it up (if I can manage that).

10. Member
    IS it that much better after all the upgrades before you even wear the reel out? Or like Tool time Tim rewiring a lawn mower for power when he only has a 10X10 patch of grass. I still have only used mine in the basement throwing jigs until the snow and ice are gone.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by watty View Post
    IS it that much better after all the upgrades before you even wear the reel out? Or like Tool time Tim rewiring a lawn mower for power when he only has a 10X10 patch of grass. I still have only used mine in the basement throwing jigs until the snow and ice are gone.
    For someone that fishes high end stuff, yes. For the average Joe, maybe not??? Ive already done one for a member here. Maybe he can answer better. lperry The biggest thing you will notice is the ease of turning the handle, as you feel some resistance with all the bushings.
    Last edited by LgMouthGambler; 03-15-2019 at 03:24 PM.

12. Member
    LgMouthGambler did the same on A SLX for me that he did on his and even to my 80 yr old senses I could tell a marked difference in the casting and overall smoothness of the reel. Kinda makes me wonder why I'm using reels the cost 4-5 times as much. But probably will continue to use them as long as I am able. But the SLX is a sweet little reel.!

13. Member
    So what is the cost of the hawgtech bearings to do the upgrade. Thanks

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
    So what is the cost of the hawgtech bearings to do the upgrade. Thanks
    8 Bucks a spool bearing, give them a call about the handle knob bearings. Or you can snag handle knob on other places for 2-4 bucks a pop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12