Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone on here know about solar energy?

I am curious if you could install a solar panel system capable of emergency needs such as run your fridge and freezer in a power outage. Maybe provide power for a few lights also without feeding extra power back into power grid. Thinking about this for my " get away " cabin. It's in a heavily wooded area and an ice storm would definitely cause havoc. Looking at it for emergency services mostly. Wondering if anyone here has done something similar?? Anything I need to be aware of they don't tell you when buying a system?

2. Banned
    Unless you got a lot of $$$$$ to spend on a full stand alone solar backup system it has always seemed less expensive and more reliable to use a fuel powered back-up generator system.

If it's an emergency situation during the day, wouldn't it also be an emergency at night? Solar doesn't work so well when it's dark unless you have a LOT of expensive batteries and more wiring and controllers. As cowtrimmer said, just look into a generator.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

4. Banned
    Not cost effective. We just did a deep dive into solar costs both short and long term. For emergency use only, solar can't even come close to being cost effective. Get a good generator for a fraction of the cost.

5. Member
    Has something to do with the sun...that's what I know lol
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

6. Member
    I've seen the 2000 watt generator at Harbor Freight on sale for $429. You will find some cheaper generators, but that one will probably run a day on 2-3 gallons of fuel. A fridge and freezer will draw up to 1400 watts. You can run a lot of led lights on little wattage. Don't think you can get into solar for less than $429.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

7. Member
    I know it comes from the sun if that helps. As much rain and cloudy days as we have had around here it would be cost prohibitive.
    Praying for a Cure

8. Member
    What they don't tell you is the cost of new batteries every 5 years will hurt a lot! You would be money ahead with a propane powered generator and an automatic transfer switch.

Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    I've seen the 2000 watt generator at Harbor Freight on sale for $429. You will find some cheaper generators, but that one will probably run a day on 2-3 gallons of fuel. A fridge and freezer will draw up to 1400 watts. You can run a lot of led lights on little wattage. Don't think you can get into solar for less than $429.
    That's the one I have. Worked like a champ during the week or so we were without power after Florence. Ran non-stop for a week without a hiccup.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

10. Member
    Do them all the time. What do you want to know? Cheap? no not at all. You want a back up system while you are there? Go with a generator. While you are not there. A generator with a auto start system. Don't want to listen to a generator? Then the $$$ start. I have a system that will run my house for 4 days with no sun or generator. 6k range. It will go up from there depending on many things. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Perchpro View Post
    What they don't tell you is the cost of new batteries every 5 years will hurt a lot! You would be money ahead with a propane powered generator and an automatic transfer switch.
    +1 Propane is what I'd choose.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Do them all the time. What do you want to know? Cheap? no not at all. You want a back up system while you are there? Go with a generator. While you are not there. A generator with a auto start system. Don't want to listen to a generator? Then the $$$ start. I have a system that will run my house for 4 days with no sun or generator. 6k range. It will go up from there depending on many things. Cj
    Since there is no natural gas available it would be diesel or gasoline. I understand the line of thinking on the simplicity of a generator but someone would have to be there to feed it fuel up to a couple times a day. Mainly want to protect frozen food and a few lights. I have already figured out it would require batteries but am curious as to roughly how many and how expensive a system it would take to do so. One refrigerator,2 freezers and 3/4 lights when needed. I suppose I could use propane but that is another expense on another tank. Just trying to consider all possibilities.

I have a $27k system at my house that puts out about 1200-1500 watts,,, just enough to run one of those items you listed ,, the only reason I purchased was the fed and state tax credits at the time, wound up with about 5k in the system,, it takes a little off of the electric bill each month,, solar is just not worth the expense to me ,, wish I have never purchased big waste of money in my opinion

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    I have a $27k system at my house that puts out about 1200-1500 watts,,, just enough to run one of those items you listed ,, the only reason I purchased was the fed and state tax credits at the time, wound up with about 5k in the system,, it takes a little off of the electric bill each month,, solar is just not worth the expense to me ,, wish I have never purchased big waste of money in my opinion
    27,000$ ???? Was seeing huge systems for that price. 15 kilo watt hour systems. I am not looking to save big money,just never be without some power in a grid down situation. Have two generators already,but gas operated. Looking for back to my backup system.

That's what mine cost ,, now my system is 10 years old so maybe they have come down,, I wrote them a check for a little of 27k when it was installed,, and at the end of the year I got back 22k in Fed/state tax credits ,, and then I got audited by the state of Louisiana the next year because of the credits
    Check into the prices you are seeing ,, my system was advertised at the time to be only 5k ,,,,, maybe things have changed

16. Member
    Couple of things:

1.) The price of solar has come down a lot from 10 years ago.
    2.) Every single system is going to vary in cost, effectiveness, and price. Your neighbor could have excellent results. You could have less than desirable results. It's all based on sun angle, sun azimuth, shading, angle of the roof or of the system, etc.
    3.) You said it's in a heavily wooded area. If so, shading would definitely be an issue.
    4.) Rooftop residential solar is not for everyone. Knowing its limitations and properly managing expectations of a system was not and is not a strong suit of a lot of the installers taking advantage of tax credits, which has unfortunately led to people being disappointed in some cases.
    5. As a strict backup system, until battery technology is more affordable, which the technology is definitely improving and in the next 10 years there will absolutely be more affordable and effective systems, I would say solar is probably not a standalone solution for you unless you are willing to pay more.

I work in utility scale solar. If you have any more questions feel free to dm me.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    Since there is no natural gas available it would be diesel or gasoline. I understand the line of thinking on the simplicity of a generator but someone would have to be there to feed it fuel up to a couple times a day. Mainly want to protect frozen food and a few lights. I have already figured out it would require batteries but am curious as to roughly how many and how expensive a system it would take to do so. One refrigerator,2 freezers and 3/4 lights when needed. I suppose I could use propane but that is another expense on another tank. Just trying to consider all possibilities.
    Ok, a couple of questions. How long to you want to run this stuff? How old is the units [power draw]? Do you want to use solar or grid power to charge the batteries? If solar, where are you located for solar energy estimation. If it were me I would put a battery bank in with a inverter/charger that switches automatically between invert and charge depending on available grid power. [This is the system I have] Then you hook a generator to the system for extended outages. I have 700w of panels just because I built the complete system for $400 but I rarely use the panels, they just keep the batteries topped off. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    If it weren't for the two freezers I'd say a propane system is a great choice. What the heck do you have in there, venison or 3,000 bass fillets? There is such a thing as gas fridges and you could run a propane generator for lights, etc, when you're there. Propane is also good for heating.

You're worried about the expense of a tank but are considering solar? That doesn't make sense to me. I'd price them both and see how they stack up. Assuming it's not so far in the sticks as to make deliveries a problem, you can save on propane cost by buying your own tank and then filling at the lowest price available. Up here at least, propane companies won't fill a tank owned by a competitor so you can't shop around.

4 years ago I worked for an outfit that sold solar systems to go on the camps we built. We got out of that crap! So many headaches with insufficient sunshine, battery issues, etc. that we were losing both sleep and money. The only thing we kept was a little outhouse kit to run the stack fan and a 1.5W light on composting toilets.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Ok, a couple of questions. How long to you want to run this stuff? How old is the units [power draw]? Do you want to use solar or grid power to charge the batteries? If solar, where are you located for solar energy estimation. If it were me I would put a battery bank in with a inverter/charger that switches automatically between invert and charge depending on available grid power. [This is the system I have] Then you hook a generator to the system for extended outages. I have 700w of panels just because I built the complete system for $400 but I rarely use the panels, they just keep the batteries topped off. CJ
    Two brand new freezers both 17 cubic ft. One 18 ft refrigerator and 3-4 led bulbs. This would be used in a grid down and don't know exactly when it will be back up. Could put up with generator 1-2 days. Very steep angle on roof. Step enough you can't stand on it. Takes boards and safety harnesses. Cabin roof is facing south west and has sun from around 11:00 until dark. North east Mississippi.

20. Banned
    You want to power two freezers a fridge and lights for more than a day........... once the storage batteries are depleted, the solar panels would need to put out enough to run the appliances on their own. I think the 27k quoted earlier would be low.
    Generator- I would mount a fuel tank as big as you feel you need above the height of the generator, and run a line to gravity feed the fuel system of the generator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast