"L" boat hull changed for 2019 models

Does anyone know if this is true? I have heard Ranger did some tweeking on the hull to help with the lose of speed between the "C" models and the "L"s.

2. Banned
    I believe only on 521l gas tank moved back 5 inches

3. Member
    At this point, not sure if we have enough numbers from the guys running them to see. I know that those in the know were pushing people to the C for 2018. With a detuned Merc / possible slower L, guys were definitely slower than in prior years.

4. Tico
    There are 6 months of 2019 L boats on the water. There are plenty of boats on the water and the numbers are easy enough to get. Too bad Ranger Boats will not fess up on this. This goes for the BBC Ranger dealer pimps (promotional staffers) also.

There was a recent post by a Texas/Toledo Bend BBC'er on a 520L. He historically fudges on his numbers. He says his 2019 520L w/4 Stroke Mercury is running in 71-72 range if I remember correctly but check the post. That translates to 68-70 for most everyone else.

Regardless - very good boats just slow compared to some others...

5. Member
    I am fishing with a buddy this week. He is not on anyone promo staff, bought the boat straight up. He has a brand new 520L with a 250 Merc 4S, He only has 4 hours on it and the Stick Marsh isn’t a good place to stretch one out. He hit a quick burst a couple of times today in the high 60’s. This was with two BIG guys and all our out of town gear. I could feel the hull pop loose. It has lift! I have no doubt run 72 easy with one dude and some room to stretch her legs.

I don’t have a dog in this hunt and dont have a clue about hull tweaks. I’m just saying the based on what I see low 70’s should be no problem.

I did make a comment that I was surprised the V8 only had a 23 Fury. He told me that is what its supposed to run. Two poles hanging off the tail, and four batteries didn’t hinder hole shot. The ONLY negative I can come up with after all day in it is it hangs up on stumps real easy. I’m looking forward to four more days in it. Big difference between the 520L and my RT188.

It is slow compared to some other brands. Then again you dont buy a Ranger for their speed.

6. Member
    Given those speeds, there is definitely a loss vs the original pre 2018's - the 520c's could run with a lot of the other boats at 75 light and 72-73 with Tournament Loads and 2 guys... I run a 2011 Z521 Merc and I do not see 70 at tournaments anymore. But I like the bigger boat and gave up some speed vs the 520's.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MengRanger View Post
    Given those speeds, there is definitely a loss vs the original pre 2018's - the 520c's could run with a lot of the other boats at 75 light and 72-73 with Tournament Loads and 2 guys.
    I have seen those number on my 18 520L, 75 and change 60% fuel, all my tackle plus right at 73 with me and my buddy running up river on the Tenn below Paducah.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    I have seen those number on my 18 520L, 75 and change 60% fuel, all my tackle plus right at 73 with me and my buddy running up river on the Tenn below Paducah.
    RangerRodney, are you running a G2 or a Mercury?

9. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IDCI07 View Post
    RangerRodney, are you running a G2 or a Mercury?
    Rodney runs a G2, and has done for several years.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Do you have the G2 w/ power steering or without? I am contemplating trading my 520L with the 2S Merc for a new boat with a G2 simply because it lacks some zip and is hard to steer. Thx!
    2018 Ranger 520L w/ Merc Pro XS 250 4S
    15" Solix console
    12" Solix on the bow
    Ultrex
    Atlas Hydraulic Jackplate

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsb0824 View Post
    Do you have the G2 w/ power steering or without? I am contemplating trading my 520L with the 2S Merc for a new boat with a G2 simply because it lacks some zip and is hard to steer. Thx!
    I am getting closer to ordering a 520L and I am stuck between the new Merc 4 stroke and the Evinrude G2. I am leaning towards the
    G2 just from how I hear they perform. I was also wondering about the difference between the power steering and the hydraulic steering on the G2... I’ve been told to stay with hydraulic steering but looking for info also!

12. Member
    I had the power steering on my first G2 Ranger Z520C, you don't need the power on a Ranger, save the extra 600.00 and buy fuel. The HO is also a tad bit faster than the PS.

13. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I tend to agree with Rodney on the power steering. I have it on my current [and first] G2. While it does steer a little easier and smoother than my previous Rangers, it is not a night and day difference, or at least not to me. However, when I got my 225 the power steering model was the only G2 option from Ranger. I don’t regret having the power steering, but could also do without it. The G2 has been fantastic.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio