12 250 pro xs dies while running on step

1B935939 bought with 184 hrs on clock and installed oct 18. Starts and runs fine until the subtle stutter happens and then it quits and gives one beep. Return to neutral, beeps once and starts back up only to kill again or maybe not. Wednesday it happened 6 times before I returned to landing, several times I had zero power to gusts and would restart without beep. Changed key/kill switch Friday and ran like a top but would not turn off at key. Three hours later it died on step and happened two more times before I quit. All connections look solid on battery and motor with no corrosion, 14.2 v on smartcraft while running, 12.6 at idle. Merc tech hooked up switches but has no clue what I am dealing with.

2. Member
    For starters if the new key switch doesn't turn off the motor, but the old one did, then it is obvious that another problem was induced, while trying to fix the first problem.... This issue needs resolved FIRST.

This is the only way to know EXACTLY what your problem is...…

Click on this>>>"My warning horn went "Beep".... or "Beep Beep Beep Beep""

3. Member
    Previous switch would turn motor off until Wednesday when it was intermittent sometimes starting without any beep or beeping while starter was turning over. Yesterday it shut down after three hours on the water unlike Wednesday where happened right out of the chute.

4. Member
    If the new key switch does not turn the motor off, then something is wrong with the new switch, or it was wired incorrectly......Go back to the switch installation and straighten out that problem first.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    If the new key switch does not turn the motor off, then something is wrong with the new switch, or it was wired incorrectly......Go back to the switch installation and straighten out that problem first.
    +100

Also, since you indicate you just got this back in October: Who rigged the engine to the boat? What boat/keyswitch harness, and are there any ADAPTERS installed?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor