Remote drain plug

I have a 2008 zx225 and am thinking about installing a Flowrite remote drain plug. The existing drain plug is the screw in type. Anyone have experience doing this? Once the old drain plug is removed is there any boat modification, is the hole large enough?

2. Member
    The remote plug will fit perfectly once you remove the old one. No modification needed.

3. Member
    Mine was easy to install and fit perfect. No more crawling under boat!

4. Member
    Hey guys, just bought a Flowrite drain for my 221 Champ. I did hear good things about this remote drain, however I am questiong how long this unit will last ? While the plastic parts pose no problem with corrosion, nor does the stainless steel push/pull wire, the plastic coated wire spiral wound housing is carbon steel (not stainless). How long will this last before corrosion problems develop ?

5. Member
    I've had mine in since 2016 when I purchased the boat new (ZX-250). I was skeptical of the seal on the plug at first. My rig is used almost everyday starting in mid-April and going until the end of October or first week on November. And every time I leave the driveway I have to drive 3/4 of a mile on gravel to hit the first pavement ( 1.5 miles minimum round trip). And about 1/3rd of the time I will have to travel on more gravel roads to reach the lake I want to fish. So far I have not had any problems with the remote drain, I do wipe the plug and interior of the drain hole with a damp cloth every so often.

6. Member
    I have installed one on the two Skeeters I have owned. The wire does not rust or corrode. The O-ring will wear out over time but you can pick these up at an auto parts store if you don't want to order them from Flow-rite. I recommend periodically applying O-ring grease. It will help the O-ring slide in better and reduce wear. You can feel the difference.
    Flow-rite does stand behind their product. My first plug had a cable issue. When I called them they were aware of it and sent me a whole new kit free of charge.

When installing avoid sharp bends, the more flowing and sweeping you can keep the cable the less stress on it.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    Where do you guys suggest mounting the control switch?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter Man View Post
    Where do you guys suggest mounting the control switch?
    I mounted mine next to the livewell drain switch. It's where they put them on the FX.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmb View Post
    I mounted mine next to the livewell drain switch. It's where they put them on the FX.
    Thanks!

10. Member
    I have one in my 2020 Skeeter. Like it except for one problem.

If you have any water in the bilge and it gets really cold, the plug will freeze in place. I store my boat outside under a cover, so always leave the plug open. So far three times this year, I've got to the ramp and couldn't close the plug. Sprayed a little De-Icer in the hole and it broke loose, but a PITA. Probably should just close it when I cover the boat, but I've had cover come loose and fill a boat up with water. Can't bring myself to close the plug..

I like it. Need to keep the plug clean and lubed a little.