Shimano Sahara spinning reel issue

I've had this reel for a few years now and it's a good reel except when it's raining. If the reel gets wet, it locks up and is hard to turn. Happened since day 1 when new. Any ideas or thoughts?

Very common. I can correct. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Very common. I can correct. Dan
    I think I'm going to send some business your way. Just so I understand the process correctly. If I send 2 reels to be serviced, I need to send a check with the form for $60 plus $7 for return shipping back to Pa.?

Correct. Thank you!

That stuff is why I quit dealing with Shimano. Get it taken care of or it will start doing it all the time instead of just when it rains.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    I've had this reel for a few years now and it's a good reel except when it's raining. If the reel gets wet, it locks up and is hard to turn. Happened since day 1 when new. Any ideas or thoughts?
    reelex will fix you up.
    It's a known problem, and they will work like new when you get them back.

I had a couple that did the same thing. I called Shimano and the tech told me to lube the rubber friction ring. And if that didn't work, to remove it. I lubed it...no help. So, I removed the friction ring and that didn't help one bit. Thinking that it might be worn gears, I replaced those...didn't help.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

It's an internal issue.

Dan: Sent you a PM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10. Member
    I think the old friction ring was the culprit due to swelling. I believe shimano has an updated one to help /w this issue...if that is your issue of course.

11. Member
    what model of sahara is this?