Collision Repair...

Good Day Friends!

Hey, 2 weeks ago I was pulling a utility trailer on the interstate, and I slowed down for an accident up ahead, I was hit from behind by a Dodge pickup truck. I was in my 2011 Tundra. The impact broke the trailer loose and jammed it into the bed of my truck. It spun me around across 3 lanes of traffic till I skidded to a stop.

The estimates to fix my truck are around $11,000. I’m close to the “total” value of my Tundra. The body shop is going to tear it down tomorrow, and if they find any other damage, they will total it.

My question.... What will the resale value of my truck be if an $11,000 repair is done on it? I get the feeling that if I give them a nod, that they will find something else and total the truck. I just hate to have a repaired truck and suddenly be under-water on it’s value for years to come...

Thanks for the input!

See ya, HatfieldHog

My recommendation is to let them total it. I believe that if you let them repair the truck that you will never be happy with it.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

Depends on the laws of your state, but you can file a claim of “dimished value”, that should cover that difference.

When I got hit on my Harley, I got a certified appraiser, who did a pre accident value report, and a post repair report. Difference was almost $4200. The woman’s insurance company wrote the check.

They will not volunteer this information to you, you need to ask for it.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

Thanks friends, I'll look into the "Diminished Value" possibility...

See ya

5. Member
    That stinks. Hope it works out in your favor or at least satisfaction.
    Praying for a Cure

I'd prefer them to total it... The truck will never be the same. No matter how good it's repaired. That has been my findings.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    i had one that a deer almost totaled,it done 8k damage and book value was 8600.00,i wished they would have totaled it (they put one new headlight light in and left the foggy one one alone said it was ok) i should have said just give me the check for 8k and been done with it,the body shop knew how far they could go before it was totaled (i had to return it for another 500.00 in work they never got the first time)

8. Member acoberhauser@hotmail.com's Avatar
    Had a vehicle with 22k worth of damage that insurance would not total. After repairs it was never the same and had to constantly go back to have things adjusted and looked at. Finally decided to trade it in after 3 years and took a huge hit on trade. If you have the opportunity to total it in I would do it.

9. Member
    I had one the that had almost 18.5k in repairs and it never the same. The insurance adjuster didn't write up over 5k in repairs. Then the insurance company USAA never reported the accident to carfax so when I finially got tired of dealing with the issues the dealership got me more then they should of for the truck the had to send to auction because I refused to sign saying it hadn't been in a accident.

10. Member
    Total it if they can, that frame even fixed is going to be tweaked as hell.