Good Chicagoland Mercury Mechanic

Hey guys-

Trying to find a reputable mechanic in the Chicago area that works on Mercury outboards. I have a 2008 225 Pro XS, its the second year with water in the LU oil, which I had pressure tested last year and was told it was good. I don't want to name any of the marinas Ive brought it to, but Im from the Peotone area and have been ripped off by one in the area very badly. I need to have it pressure tested again and possibly resealed. Looks like the last marina I brought it too had put the wrong color washers on the LU (they put on blue instead of the yellow which may have caused water intrusion). Any pointers would be great.

Thanks

2. Banned
    Long drive for you but I've used Wauconda Boat for 20+ years to service my Mercs

3. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I hope you are not going to All Season Marine... He wore out his welcome in Oak Forest and moved towards you...Sold me the wrong water separator after I got numbers and then tried to charge me $600 -5 weeks later when the boat wouldn't start. plus numerous horror stories from club members.

4. Member
    Welp, I didn’t want to name the shop but yup...I had a horrible experience with them. I don’t give them very long of staying in business. It was an absolute joke...very expensive joke. They said they drove my trailer around the lot for 3 hours looking for a leak and charged me 3 hours worth of labor...instead of just ordering the part which would e cost half of that amount. I don’t even want to get into the motor. I took it to another place that was much cheaper and way friendlier but are always swamped so I have no idea how long til I can get the boat back.

5. Member
    Danny at DC marine does excellent work. He use to be by the des plaines river off I55 but recently moved a little more south. He’s your guy
    Nitro z21

6. Member
    Tried looking up their website for DC marine. It comes up as a California place. Is he still with DC or is he on his own?

7. Member
    Dan Hoffman at DC Marine (815) 671-3264. No website but knows his stuff.
    2017 Nitro Z21
    2017 250 Pro XS T2 (SN 2B401909)
    Bravo 1XS 26P
    BMS 12" Action Jack
    Ultrex 112# - Solix 12 - 12' Talons

Club: lunkersunlimited.net

8. Member
    Awesome, I sure do appreciate it.

9. Member
    There is a small independent marine repair that moved into the building where ALL Seasons Marine was in Oak Forest. The business name is All Aboard Boat Repair. Ph# 773-226-9674. The owners name is Don. I've used him for a few repairs (hy steering replacement, winterize, etc) and have been very pleased with the work that has been done.

10. Member
    There is a small independent marine repair that moved into the building where ALL Seasons Marine was in Oak Forest. The business name is All Aboard Boat Repair. Ph# 773-226-9674. The owners name is Don. I've used him for a few repairs (hy steering replacement, winterize, etc) and have been very pleased with the work that has been done. He's also on Facebook.

11. Member
    Paul at Dockside Marine in Wilmington is the most fair, honest mechanic I have found in the Chicago area, hands down. Referred a bunch of people his way and they all feel the same way.
    Michael J. Koenig

I've used DC Marine and they did an excellent job replacing the power head, repairing a steering leak, and getting us back on the water. Also, I ran into Sam from Bedford Sales and he finally got his mechanic back from a disability leave and that's an option too. Can't go wrong ....

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

13. Member
    Thank you fellas. I appreciate it.

14. Member
    I just had my boat winterized at Fox Valley Marine, FVM. Nice guys, but can't speak for any challenging work yet. Anyone used them?
    2018 Bass Cat Sabre, 150 HP Pro XS, Helix 10s

15. Member
    Carl Stirns Marine in Aurora. Very nice guys. They are Mercury Certified mechanics and have already saved me a couple of times! Check em out.

16. Member
    I definitely agree on going to DC Marine.