Best recommendation for removing carpet glue?

I am recarpet in my boat. The best thing I found was to soak the carpet with acetone, wait a few minutes and it comes right up. I am using a Dre Mel multi-tool with a scraper attachment. It works OK but I don’t like the flammability of the acetone. Is googone pro strength good to use the same technique? Any other techniques?

2. Member
    If from factory may be Weldwood or similar.

If you plan to use Weldwood during install, no need to remove. If not, acetone as mentioned, or grind off.

I replaced in my Basscat, left old glue on as others suggested, worked just fine.

I like using an oscillating tool with a scraper blade, makes quick work of it. Keep a file handy and sharpen the scraper blade every now and then to keep it cutting quickly. You can get an oscillating tool from Harbor Freight for $15 with a 20% off coupon.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

4. Member
    Pull the carpet off dry and actually the adhesive comes up pretty easy with this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Marshalltow...per/1000210449

5. Member
    So just pulll and scrape? I can certainly pull the carpet off but it leaves the backing and the adhesive. I heard people using acetone of goofoff and soak the carpet so the glue just comes right up.

I'm doing my boat as well. I will use Weldwood contact. I know you use the glue to lay down the padding & I know you use the glue for the carpet. After the pad is down, you use the glue on top of the pad also. Do you use glue on the carpet as well? I will be doing my boat by myself so I want to get it right the first time. I know you guys are tired of these posts as well, but please don't tell me to read a "stickey" again or this has been researched & answered a billon times.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    So just pulll and scrape? I can certainly pull the carpet off but it leaves the backing and the adhesive. I heard people using acetone of goofoff and soak the carpet so the glue just comes right up.
    If you want to go to the extra expense and odor, and getting a hi sure. But the adhesive comes off the deck and lids with out that much trouble, I tried the acetone route once
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 02-19-2019 at 03:26 PM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    I'm doing my boat as well. I will use Weldwood contact. I know you use the glue to lay down the padding & I know you use the glue for the carpet. After the pad is down, you use the glue on top of the pad also. Do you use glue on the carpet as well? I will be doing my boat by myself so I want to get it right the first time. I know you guys are tired of these posts as well, but please don't tell me to read a "stickey" again or this has been researched & answered a billon times.
    Apply the adhesive to both surfaces and let dry. Keep a piece of cardboard or wide heavy paper on the deck and lay the carpet over the cardboard. This will keep both glued surfaces from sticking together. Align the carpet and slowly slide the cardboard out rolling the carpet down on the deck.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    If you want to go to the extra expense and odor, and getting a hi sure. But the adhesive comes off the deck and lids with out that much trouble, I tried the acetone route once
    not my boat. I have many hand scrapers, a multitool with a scraper blade and several other things and removing the glue is a serious pain in the ass. Sure the carpet pulls up just fine but it leaves the backing and the glue.

Thanks brushjigs. Let it dry or just get tacky? I taking mine off with a scraper and goof off. Works really well. Got my Syntec carpet a few days ago, should get my padding Monday or so. Just taking my time, coming off pretty easy though.

11. Member
    Does goof off work good at getting glue off? What glue you going with, my syntec carpet comes tomorrow but got quite a bit more scraping to go to glue. I plan to use Weldwood on the lids or should I use it just on the edges of the lids?

12. Member
    I used goof off professional and a flexible putty knife and the old glue comes right off.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRanger View Post
    I used goof off professional and a flexible putty knife and the old glue comes right off.
    That's what I use. Stretch, I will be using Weldwood contact for the padding & probably the carpet to padding also. Would have liked to use something like Henry 263 but that's not available around here. HD & Lowes have Robert's 6700 but have read mixed reviews about it. Ranger uses contact on their carpet install. I guess time is money if they do the 24 hr thing. Not cost effective I would guess.

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Weldwood good stuff no need for anything else..I used xylene for glue removal worked well.