Electrical connectors and corrosion

1998 200 EFI
    S/N OG680217
    1998 Ranger R-91 Intracoastal

I had some motor trim issues, the motor wasn’t going up or down every time when it should have. I disconnected and cleaned all of the electrical connectors on the motor and the TM panel at the pointy end if the boat. I didn’t mess with the switch in the throttle, I’m not sure how to disassemble it without breaking it. Everything works as it should now. All of the connectors had light corrosion present, some more than others.

Is there a product I should apply to the connectors that will promote continuity and inhibit corrosion at the same time? It seems like I should apply something to the freshly “wire brushed” surfaces. Thanks.

Axel
    1998 Ranger R-91 Intracoastal
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI (S/N OG680217)
    Tempest A45 25P (no jackplate)

2. Member
    Permatex Lubricant/Grease

Available at Auto Zone for 6.99 tube. Google "electrical grease"

Stabilant 22
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Good thinking on leaving throttle switch alone, mine was going bad and had to replace, very hard to remove trim ring without breaking it. I broke one of the tabs off, put it back on with some glue. I would find some dielectric grease, that’s what it’s made for.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

dielectric is a insulator (non conductor) its properties for sealing moisture out and eliminating cross currents in sensitive electronics is it main attributes. It does not improve connections, it does protect them.
    Stabilant 22 will enhance connections and result far less voltage drop and less heat do to the improved connection. It is not cheap though
    Last edited by lpugh; 02-19-2019 at 09:09 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh