Questions about Garmin

Humminbird guy here...please excuse my ignorance, but I have a few questions - as I am seriously considering a Garmin unit for my bow.
    I am looking for a unit to make it easier for to find fish around submerged clumps of hydrilla, and this seems ideal.

Do all of the units support have the capability of the Panoptix Livescope, Panoptix Forward, and Panoptix Down or are specific unit capable of each feature?

Do the units require 2 transducers for the regular sonar and the panoptix?

Can anyone recommend a good bow unit with capability of both - budget around 2k?

Anything you feel someone considering making the switch should know? Either good or bad?

Thanks

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hez View Post
    Do all of the units support have the capability of the Panoptix Livescope, Panoptix Forward, and Panoptix Down or are specific unit capable of each feature?
    No. The echomap CHIRP 7 and 9 inch units support Panoptix - Not Livescope
    The echomap Plus 7 & 9 inch units support Panoptix and Livescope
    Generally the GPSMAP units support both but there are some older ones that do not.
    Once you narrow down the units you are considering then that has to be checked.

Do the units require 2 transducers for the regular sonar and the panoptix?
    Generally Yes.

Can anyone recommend a good bow unit with capability of both - budget around 2k?
    The echomap Plus 93sv units are the best buy on the market right now. The big decision is to choose between echomap Plus units or GPSMAP units. Each will network with other like units but not with each other.

Anything you feel someone considering making the switch should know? Either good or bad?
    IMO Garmin has the market cornered on ways to see fish.
    I don't know what Bird unit you use or how important side imaging is to you, but from the screenshots I've seen Bird leads that market.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Thanks for the response.

I have a 1199 at the console and 698 on the bow right now...and I am pleased with the console unit. It provides great SI and decent sonar. This unit will be for the bow. Another BBC'er has a GPSmap 922xs for sale that I was looking at, but I am not sure I need all of the additional navigation capabilities.

I will continue to do some more research based on the info you provided, and come back if I have any questions (which I am sure I will).

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

How about the AIS 800 BlackBox Transceiver? Can you explain that? Is that required in addition to the transducers for the panoptix and sonar?

That is separate?

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

5. Member
    AIS has nothing to do with Panoptix or sonar. It's a radio navigation automatic identification system.

The LiveScope LVS32 transducer does require a black box regardless of unit. That black box is GLS10. Ordinarily you would by both the box and transducer as a package puchase.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    AIS has nothing to do with Panoptix or sonar. It's a radio navigation automatic identification system.

The LiveScope LVS32 transducer does require a black box regardless of unit. That black box is GLS10. Ordinarily you would by both the box and transducer as a package puchase.
    Ok, good. I was hoping that was related to navigation. I did notice the GLS10.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles