Is a 13' SHO considered a Gen 1?

Hey guys, people in my area have told me that the older SHOs (specifically the "gen 1" models) are prone to issues and aren't reliable and I was just wondering if yall would agree or not? friend is looking to buy a boat with a 2013 SHO on it so I am asking for him. Thanks!

2. Member
    Yamaha does not use the term "gen" to describe any of their models. Since the first VF250LA (aka SHO) was issued in 2009 it was known as, and is still known as, a model VF250LA.

Now have their been improvements since the very first VF250LA was issued? Absolutely, positively yes.

3. Member
    I have a 14 that's leaking crankcase oil! Going to the dealer next week, wish me luck!!

The year models with the oil seal issues were 2011 and earlier I believe.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

5. Member
    Yes they fixed that with an oil seal retainer. Mine is the newer model so that wasnt an issue. My engine is not leaking from the seal. Its under the powerhead oil pan area. I am stressed out about it. Im thankfully still under warrenty! But anxious to know what is going on with the engine. I think going forward i will have to bite the bullet and buy the extended YES warrenty!

6. bullyfish
    2013 is a good one

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Yes they fixed that with an oil seal retainer. Mine is the newer model so that wasnt an issue. My engine is not leaking from the seal. Its under the powerhead oil pan area. I am stressed out about it. Im thankfully still under warrenty! But anxious to know what is going on with the engine. I think going forward i will have to bite the bullet and buy the extended YES warrenty!
    Get the extended warranty for as far out as you can get it!
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chwebmaker View Post
    Get the extended warranty for as far out as you can get it!

Yes I think I will!! Still waiting on the dealer to see where and what happen to cause my crankcase oil to leak. I searched around and SIM Yamaha has the best price on the YES warranty. $2195 for 3 additional years. Yamaha wanted $2795!

9. Member
    Andy at simyamaha is the man.