LU/ 08 Evinrude Etec 200 HO

So I think I lost my lower unit today. After running all day on the way back in I started hearing a loud clapping noise so I throttled down and heard what sounded like rocks rolling around in the engine. Figured it must have been something in the power head because I didn’t run into anything. After getting the boat out of the water and removing the top fill plug there where heavy metal shavings on the magnet. So my question is can the gears be replaced? If not what is a new LU unit gonna run me in terms of dollar amount? Thanks for any help/advice given.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes the gears can be replaced. You must replace the pinion and forward gears as a set and shimming checked.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Yes the gears can be replaced. You must replace the pinion and forward gears as a set and shimming checked.
    Thank you Championman, any idea what a rebuild will cost? I work with precision outboard up in Pompano Beach, gentleman there has always been a stand up guy just looking for a couple different quotes possibly. Thanks.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL

Hey Geo, Get a hold of Gearcase man here on the forum, he should be able to get you taken care of.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Hey Geo, Get a hold of Gearcase man here on the forum, he should be able to get you taken care of.
    Thank you Tom, I’ll give him a shout.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Here's Eddie's info Eddie Pope (AKA Gearcaseman) 423-336-5618

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Here's Eddie's info Eddie Pope (AKA Gearcaseman) 423-336-5618
    Thank you!
    2008 Stratos 294 XL

If you cannot get yours repaired then I highly recommend an L2. My 08 lower was replaced with an L2 back in 2015 and it's been incredible.
    BTW, next time I get to FL I wanna hit the canals for the Peacocks.
    It would be real cool if you took a trip up here too.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

That was my original thought however from what I’m hearing the L2 headsets are near impossible to find anymore and very temperamental. It’s what I currently have. You got it man, you let me know when you want to come down and I’ll make it happen. I’ll try and head up there this year sometime.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL