Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    True story. Wife and I went in to buy her a car. We were very close and had agreed on the car and even the price. The dealer makes us wait a half hour for an all cash-no-trade-in deal. We were in the waiting room.

Talked to the person sitting next to me. I said something about the guy in with the money man. He was trying to RETURN the brand new Toyota ?? that he bought for his wife.

It seems that he brought his wife by a week before. They looked at and even drove the brand new Toyota. She said that "she loved it". Unknown to her, later in the week....he bought it and drove it home.

Oh, that is when she said "WHAT?". He told her that she said "she loved it." That's when she said..."I've been driving Chrysler Imperials for 20 years...I am NOT going to change now!." I imagine that the girls at the Country Club would have laughed at her when she drove in with a Toyota????

I have no idea how much he was raped trying to get the dealer to take back a, now used, Toyota, but it could not have been a pleasant time for the poor husband. I will NEVER buy my wife anything big without her choosing it.

p.s. we cancelled our deal when the dealer wouldn't repaint the trunk lid, as the salesman promised.

2. Member
    nope nope nope never buy her a car then surprise her with it. take her to breakfast then pull up at the dealership say what car you want and go get it with her let her choose.

3. Member
    Unless you know exactly what she wants & color I would not go buy it, not something you can just return.

4. Member
    i made that mistake one time,i bought her a brand new suv and about 2 months later i ask her why she did not take better care of it (keeping it clean and trash off the floor) she said i never ask for it in the first place,i was very happy with my old car as a matter of fact i liked it better,so i made her happy i sold the new one

5. Member
    I did it.....didn’t turn out well.

If you want to surprise her, pick out the car you think she would want, see if the dealer will let you take it home for an over night test drive (many around here will do that). Surprise her with it and then if it's exactly what she wants, buy it, if not get her what she wants.

7. Member
    You could make a gift certificate (8.5” x 11”) for your maximum pain threshold.
    Make it payable to “New Car Dealer of your Choice” including dollar limit.
    Take her to breakfast, give her a gift box (shirt size) with the paper and a rose.
    Best of both worlds ... gift of vehicle, gift of choice. No really bad surprises.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunna View Post
    Unless you know exactly what she wants & color I would not go buy it, not something you can just return.
    I do technically know what car she “wants” next which is a Tahoe. All the way down to the color, options, years, etc. She has been talking about it for about two years now. It’s just that she has never drove one.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    I do technically know what car she “wants” next which is a Tahoe. All the way down to the color, options, years, etc. She has been talking about it for about two years now. It’s just that she has never drove one.
    Driving one is great, parking a pain in the butt. Gift her a dollar limit, turn her loose.
    She will come home with what suits her, sooner or later. You are a total winner.
    Gave her respect, freedom and sole responsibility if she doesn’t like it later.
    I’ve purchased a surprise vehicle, surprise vacation and a surprise engagement ring.

10. Member
    No but my wife does her own research took her 2 years to figure out she wanted a durango she knew everything about them made the salesman look like a fool LOL She upset because her last car was wrecked and she had to pick something in a week so no i wouldnt buy my wife a car

I've been married to the same women forever and I could buy her a car and she could pick out my next truck and we would both be happy . No bragging just a fact .

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    I've been married to the same women forever and I could buy her a car and she could pick out my next truck and we would both be happy . No bragging just a fact .
    We could too ... with your wallet. Mine has very expensive tastes.
    She’s currently eyeballing the upcoming Lexus convertible. Ouch!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123